Re: Verizon Charging You More, As Bandwidth Costs Them Less.
TexasRebel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I never said to give unlimited data to everyone, but even if they did, you seem to have this idea that everyone all at  once will start taking advantage of it. That wouldn't be possible because cell towers can only handle so many connections at once. Your notion that you believe everyone would make use of it all at once is just a scare tactic that I've heard over and over.

For the 14 years I've had some kind of wired broadband connection, I've never seen at anytime where my connection came to a screeching halt due to congestion. Never seen it on cellular either and I have AT&T for phone service. Then again I live out in the sticks and most people out here only know how to talk on a cellphone and don't do much else...

I did read the link you pasted about CES and 3G-4G/LTE and I posted a response. I guess you didn't read it. That problem happened because the cellular infrastructure wasn't built to handle that many users all at once. No cellular network is.

With an event like CES I would have thought they would have had multiple open WiFi hotspots to handle the load of data to keep the cellular networks uncluttered. I guess they didn't have the money, (worthless paper backed by nothing) to pull off that feat.

I am a HomeFusion customer.. I went with 30GB and I've already gone past my allowance and I haven't watched any NetFlix or any other streaming HD video service.. I do watch YouTube videos from time to time, and stream audio as well. 30GB is a bad joke for a product that is marketed as a residential connection to the internet. It's costing me right at $140 a month which includes a $6.99 insurance plan to replace their hardware should it break. I've got another week and a half before my billing cycle resets. At the moment I'm at 33GB. Hopefully I don't go over 40GB.

Homefusion customers shouldn't be worried about hitting a data cap. Certainly not at 30GB.. That's way to low for a product that is marketed as a broadband internet connection for the home.

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

lol your post killed me.

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

Why would it not be fair ? life's not fair , you got cable right ? not fair as you say. So vzw giving some place  higher priority is good.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I am a HomeFusion customer.. I went with 30GB and I've already gone past my allowance and I haven't watched any NetFlix or any other streaming HD video service.. I do watch YouTube videos from time to time, and stream audio as well. 30GB is a bad joke for a product that is marketed as a residential connection to the internet. It's costing me right at $140 a month which includes a $6.99 insurance plan to replace their hardware should it break. I've got another week and a half before my billing cycle resets. At the moment I'm at 33GB. Hopefully I don't go over 40GB.

Homefusion customers shouldn't be worried about hitting a data cap. Certainly not at 30GB.. That's way to low for a product that is marketed as a broadband internet connection for the home.

TexasRebel wrote:

I never said to give unlimited data to everyone, but even if they did, you seem to have this idea that everyone all at  once will start taking advantage of it. That wouldn't be possible because cell towers can only handle so many connections at once.

Which kind of makes my whole popint. Thank you. It makes sense for Verizon to offer service that they can actually handle.

I did read the link you pasted about CES and 3G-4G/LTE and I posted a response. I guess you didn't read it. That problem happened because the cellular infrastructure wasn't built to handle that many users all at once. No cellular network is.

Once again you are making my point.

I am a HomeFusion customer.. I went with 30GB and I've already gone past my allowance and I haven't watched any NetFlix or any other streaming HD video service.. I do watch YouTube videos from time to time, and stream audio as well.

Youtube videos can be in HD also. For example the offical Man of Steel trailer from Warner Bros is 54 MB for a 2 1/2 minute clip at 1080p. That's nearly 3 Mbps. 45 minutes a day of that will eat up 30 GB a month. Dropping it down to 720p drops the trailer size down to to 28 MB and droping it down to 480p reduces it to 12 MB. I wonder how many peopel are watching Youtube videos at 1080p when they can be watching at 720p and not notice the difference? Heck even 480p might not be noticeable to most. Say you watch 30 minutes a day at 1080p, switching to 720p saves 9 GB a month.  Watching at 480p saves 15 GB a month. On a 30 GB plan that's alot.

Streaming music can be anywhre from 50 MB - 140 MB an hour depending on what service you use.

30GB is a bad joke for a product that is marketed as a residential connection to the internet. It's costing me right at $140 a month which includes a $6.99 insurance plan to replace their hardware should it break. I've got another week and a half before my billing cycle resets. At the moment I'm at 33GB. Hopefully I don't go over 40GB.

You are obviously in an area that doesn't offer DSL or cable. So your chocies are HomeFusion or satelltie through Hughesnet or WildBlue. Neither one offers anything better than HomeFusion. If they did you be with them. The fact is that living out in the boonies comes at a cost. Part of that cost is cruddy expensive internet. It's not fair but that's how it is and it's not changing anytime soon.

0 Likes
Not applicable

scott21 wrote:

Why would it not be fair ? life's not fair , you got cable right ? not fair as you say. So vzw giving some place  higher priority is good.

How pray tell would you suggest the billing on this would work? By zip code? If you live in one zip code you get unlimited if you live in another you get 10 GB? People already complain about Verizon's billing system, I can imagine the cluster---k this would cause.

0 Likes
TexasRebel
Enthusiast - Level 3

The current cellular infrastructure can handle unlimited data and at any giving time it's always got data flowing over the network. Some places it's heavier than others. In the cities it's always got loads of data going over it. In the boonies, not so much.

Data capping is a total scam and does not have anything to do with network congestion. I've already said that if network congestion was really the issue, then there's always the use of QoS (Quality of Service) metrics. When congestion is detected, then balance out the network load to all users on those specific towers. That way not one specific user is eating up the largest amount of available bandwidth. When congestion is not detected, then QoS switches off.

I already know all about video formats and the data that's used for the different qualities. My YouTube settings are set to use the lowest quality, which again I shouldn't have to settle for low quality because I have to worry about going over some stupid data allowance.

Oh I've had both Exede12 and Hughesnet Gen4. I ditched both of them because they had unreasonable data caps for what I was spending.. Exede12 was better than HNG4 in speeds. HomeFusion is the same exact way. The only reason I haven't ditched them yet is because the latency is like having a wired connection with being under 100ms.

<Comments deleted to comply with the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I know, amazing how simple math works.

0 Likes
Derek32880
Contributor - Level 1

I have to agree with TexasRebel to a point.  I don't agree they should have 60 or 100GB caps lol  they could offer  lower caps as they do now  but just up the caps a bit better.  I have said this before  in other posts over the past year and I will say this again..  the current prices  they are charging too much for too little. 

I had the unlimited plan on data for $30 a month...  now mind you I really did not want unlimited Data because I use my wifi most of the time  but I went with the unlimited because  unlimited for $30 was a better option than the  150mb for $15 (which was at the time that I got a smartphone for the 1st time the ONLY other option) however these were 3G speeds so it's not that fast and doesn't really use a lot of data  and still doesn't because 4G is not available in my area yet. 

With 4G speeds that is a different subject  you are using more data because the data is coming in 5-10x faster than it was on 3G  and even tho prices ARE coming down  I can still understand  Verizon needing to add caps and get people off of unlimited  but the current prices for the family share plans are a joke most are paying the same price and getting A LOT less 

I have had someone that argued these prices tell me that on 4G  he uses about 10GB of data a month   so when 4G becomes available  I would have to start paying $140 just for ONE cellphone and that's not including taxes.   nor does that include the $20 (+taxes) for the home phone connect that I also have on my line.   so right now after taxes I pay about $132-$133 for 1GB of data  which as I said is 3G at the moment.

I recently read that T-Mobile is offering a $70 plan which includes unlimited talk, text, and data with the option to buy your phone at full price... however they are allowing customers to buy the phone on a monthly payment plan   this to me is a great idea  but  the $70 plan is the only option you have.

Here is some plans that I believe are reasonable.... yet would bring in money for Verizon (if they have you buy the phone at full price and allow a monthly payment plan).

$50 unlimited talk text and 10GB of Data (with this plan it's basically $3 a GB @ $30 for 10GB other plans would be $1 a GB extra except the $70 unlimited plan)

$55 unlimited talk text and 15GB of Data

$60 unlimited talk text and 20GB of Data

$65 unlimited talk text and 25GB of Data

$70 unlimited talk text and unlimited Data (same as T-Mobile)

0 Likes
Verizon Charging You More, As Bandwidth Costs Them Less.
Tidbits
Legend

You fail to realize Verizon spends a whole lot more on their network than T-Mobile does for good reason.  If you want T-Mobile prices then you will get the result T-Mobile has.  You should check their boards in a lot of areas where they complain left and right about little to no coverage and it isn't based on devices or anything of that sort.

0 Likes
Derek32880
Contributor - Level 1

I don't fail to realize this  I know that T-Mobiles coverage is bad   However  what YOU fail to realize is that  the reason T-Mobile spends less on there network than Verizon does is cause  T-Mobile has over 60 MILLION less customers  than Verizon has.  Less customers = less money   and besides that   Verizon pays $400 for EACH iphone (from what I've read) and they charge what is it like $650  for full price?  If they charge $40 for a monthly payment plan on that said iphone in 1 year  they make a $80 profit off of that 1 iphone  and they do sell more than 1 iphone a year  not that i'd ever get an iphone but still lol  if people can afford to pay full price up front then they make a $250 profit off that  iphone so they're not going to be losing any money

0 Likes