VZAM/USB551L vs. LG Enlighten as Mobile Hotspot
siss2266
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has been bugging me for awhile now so I'm going to throw this out and see if anyone has or can found the answer.  I connect my Windows 8 HP Laptop to the internet using VZ Access Manager and the USB551L OR I can use  my LG Enlighten cell phone as a mobile hotspot.  Using my cell phone, I have NO ISSUES whatsoever.  Full bars of service.  Never lose connectivity.  Never drops service.  Web pages load quickly and correctly.  But, if I'm using the VZAM & USB551L I consistently lose connectivity, get "no service" messages, am lucky to get even 1 bar of service, repeatedly see DNS and DHCP errors in my event viewer and also IPv4 errors (IPv4 connection failed after 3 attempt) and since updating to Version 7.9, Facebook pages will not load at all. 

Why is using my phone as a mobile hotspot "troublefree" vs. the VZAM/USB551L combo that was purchased SPECIFICALLY for the internet and is one problem after another?  I appreciate any advice on this someone has.  Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZAM/USB551L vs. LG Enlighten as Mobile Hotspot
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

might have a better insight into the USB modem issues. He usually hangs out in the "Broadband & Netbook Community" space of this community forum.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: VZAM/USB551L vs. LG Enlighten as Mobile Hotspot
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Its hard to say exactly what is different between a smartphone hotspot service and a USB modem.  A better comparison would be between a USB modem and a MiFi or mobile hotspot device.

My best guess is that the hardware used for your smartphone is better than that used on the USB modem, thus your performance is better.

Another good explanation would be that your USB551L is damaged and unable to maintain a consistent connection.  It is very common for USB modems to suffer from accidental damage while plugging and unplugging from computers.  The USB connection itself tends to wiggle lose and in many cases breaks or bends to the point where it is unusable.  Cant tell you how many of those we had to replace for that same issue when we relied on USB modems instead of MiFi's.

If your USB551L is still covered under the warranty then I would start by calling the VZW hotline and asking to speak with Technical support.  The best time to call them would be when you are at your normal enviornment and when the problem is happening.  That way VZW can go through the normal troubleshooting steps and see if a replacement is necessary or not.

There really isnt much troubleshooting or configuration settings that can be changed on a USB modem.  Either they work or they dont in most cases and the only course of action is swapping it out.

0 Likes