VZ Navigator 5 sucks. Wish I could have ver. 4 back
luszifer

Does anyone else use Vz Navigator regularly. If so do you also hate the new version 5 as bad as i do.

I have nothing but problems with it. I am actually thinking of changing my phone service cause it is so bad.

90% of the time it cant even figure out where I am at. The 3d view is terrible. Plus now it uses so much power

that I cant even have it on while I actually drive cause it will kill my battery in less than 10 minutes. So I have

to keep stopping it and then restart it. Its just the worst program update ever. So if you have the older version

4 never update to 5 you will thank me for this. If you have 5 there is no way to roll back to 4. Does anyone

fell the same way.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VZ Navigator 5 sucks. Wish I could have ver. 4 back
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi bspielbauer1,

I apologize for the bad experience you have shared relating to VZ Navigator 5. Adding to the comments from the others, we offer a much better version of the VZ Navigator. Now, customers can download the new VZ Navigator 7.1 under a 30-day free trial period subscription. This up to date version has many great features and is easier to use. For more information , steps how to download and try the promotion, please follow this link.  The link also provides videos and tips for helpful reference. The newer application can enhance your experience. I suggest trying our VZ Navigator 7.1 today to notice the all the great improvements. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

luszifer wrote:

Does anyone else use Vz Navigator regularly. If so do you also hate the new version 5 as bad as i do.

I have nothing but problems with it. I am actually thinking of changing my phone service cause it is so bad.

90% of the time it cant even figure out where I am at. The 3d view is terrible. Plus now it uses so much power

that I cant even have it on while I actually drive cause it will kill my battery in less than 10 minutes. So I have

to keep stopping it and then restart it. Its just the worst program update ever. So if you have the older version

4 never update to 5 you will thank me for this. If you have 5 there is no way to roll back to 4. Does anyone

fell the same way.

You can revert back. Delete 5.0 and then ask to download the program. You will be given an option for 4.5 again.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Yup. Delete 5.0 and download the 4.5 version from the Media Center catalog.

Better do it quick too, it's only available until June 30th.

0 Likes
Powerhaus

It's not just that the interface is more difficult, that it runs slower, that the search features are even WORSE than before, and so on. And it's not even that they don't give you the option to go back to the old version.

What I find REALLY galling is that customer support has the nerve to act surprised when I explain all these problems to them, like I'm the first person they've ever heard complain about the "upgrade".

The FIRST customer service representative I spoke with suggested that I switch to Google Maps. Really. Switch from a turn-by-turn navigatio system to Google Maps. That's a solution? FAIL.

Apparently at some point, impossible to tell when or how, VZ Navigator "dropped off" my account. Supposedly this can only happen if I call up and request it, but no, it happened on its own apparently. But they kept charging me for it, and it kept working, sort of. Last night after spending God knows how long on the phone with multiple clueless support people, they graciously "put it back on my account", and told me to dial *228 and press option 2. Dialing *228 and pressing option 2 is their solution for everything, kind of like a nurse telling you to drink lots of water when you're sick.

Anyway, I did this, and as far as I can tell the speed has improved some. Now intead of taking 16 seconds to boot up, it only takes 9.

I haven't tested the "fix" driving in town with lots of short turns yet, but before last night whenever I tried to do that it would tell me to turn AFTER I'd driven through the appropriate intersection.

VZNavigator WAS one of Varizon's best apps, in fact, probably their #1 app, and the driver behind a lot of their sales. I actually decided NOT to get a Droid because it didn't run VZNavigator. Now I am insulted and upset, and am looking around for other options. The problem is, I'm used to using my phone with a real qwerty keyboard and the OLD VZNavigator a certain way, and any other option I find is going to involve trying to fight with a touch-screen Android device while trying not to have an accident.

WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING????

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

VZ Navigator Version 5 has a lot of great features, including easy access to weather info, integration with Facebook and VZW Roadside Assistance and more. You can not downgrade to the 4.5 version, but please watch for future versions of VZ Navigator that bring back some or all of those V4.5 features. Click here for additional information on VZ Navigator.

Thanks,

John B

0 Likes
bspielbauer1

To John --  With all due respect your post is nonsense.  VZNavigator 5's "great" added features were NOT great.  They were a disaster.  Those "Great features" slowed the Navigator's start up time to a crawl -- and it rendered it useless as a Navigator.  It added a weather download and local advertising fluff and the ability to upload your location to your Facebook status... and REMOVED features which are critical to standard navigating, in order to add the "fluff."    Example -- it removed the ability to simply look ahead beyond the next step in a route.  It forced one to actually wait 28 seconds before the thing fully booted up.  Then, one had to press nine (9) buttons and/or keystrokes to get to the point of actually navigating...    This, if you were trying to choose a previously stored "Favorite.

Version 5 also reduced the size of all maps and the fonts, rendering them unreadable, so that the viewer's precious screen real estate could be taken up with irrelevent nonsense such as the temperature, the nearest movie theater locale, and similar distractions.

These "great features" you speak of were so disasterous, Verizon was forced to temporarily allow customers to "downgrade" back to version 4.  This is the only thing that kept me (and many others) as a customer.  Version 5 was so awful it was the ultimate embarrassment.  I was shopping for a Garmin when Verizon realized the error of their ways, and offered the temporary "downgrade."   Then, to avoid further embarrassment, they quietly tried to inform their many complaining customers via E-Mails and text messages that they needed to get Version 4 quick -- having it available at all, even for awhile, just made it obvious what a huge gaffe they had made.

Tell the truth.

Version 5 of the VZ Navigator is, in fact, so awful that I have refused to purchase a new phone, or extend my contract, since I know purchasing any new device means that I will no longer have access to Version 4 -- the last decent Navigator that Verizon offered.  My wife feels the same, and so does my 19 year old daughter.

This is similar to the ongoing "Ozmail text message" fiasco which Verizon tries to quietly mollify angry consumers over.  Then, act genuinely surpised when a customer complains, as if he or she is the first one to point out these issues...

Tell the truth.  Verizon owes us an apology.  And, the right to continually download Version 4 if we choose.  I know right now, when any of our three phones breaks, we are switching providers, and buying Garmins for all three cars.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Powerhaus wrote:

The FIRST customer service representative I spoke with suggested that I switch to Google Maps. Really. Switch from a turn-by-turn navigatio system to Google Maps. That's a solution? FAIL.

Have you tried Google Navigator? It is free and has turn by turn navigation.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I thought a newer version came out months ago to clean up v5

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi bspielbauer1,

I apologize for the bad experience you have shared relating to VZ Navigator 5. Adding to the comments from the others, we offer a much better version of the VZ Navigator. Now, customers can download the new VZ Navigator 7.1 under a 30-day free trial period subscription. This up to date version has many great features and is easier to use. For more information , steps how to download and try the promotion, please follow this link.  The link also provides videos and tips for helpful reference. The newer application can enhance your experience. I suggest trying our VZ Navigator 7.1 today to notice the all the great improvements. 

0 Likes
tiastaf
Enthusiast - Level 1

They call this new VZ navigator an upgrade? Pleeeez it sucks!!!! I want my old one back.

0 Likes