Upgrade
blh87

My phone broke and I don't get an upgrade until spring 2015. My dad has an upgrade available on his account that he never uses. Is it possible to use his upgrade on my account? (We have two separate accounts, not two lines on the same account)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade
rcschnoor
Legend

You cannot use his discounted upgrade on your account, however he can use his discounted upgrade on his account and then simply reactivate his old phone and give the new one to you.

Of course, your father would have to agree to this and be willing to sign a contract for 2 years before he would be eligible for another discounted upgrade.

Whose discounted upgrade are you planning to use if you break this phone within another 6-8 months?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You cannot use his discounted upgrade on your account, however he can use his discounted upgrade on his account and then simply reactivate his old phone and give the new one to you.

Of course, your father would have to agree to this and be willing to sign a contract for 2 years before he would be eligible for another discounted upgrade.

Whose discounted upgrade are you planning to use if you break this phone within another 6-8 months?

0 Likes
blh87

My dad doesn't have a data package right now... just a simple flip phone. He's not very tech savvy Would he have to add a data package for one month if he did that? He's willing to sign a 2 year contract and help me out so that's not a problem.

That's a good question! lol This is the first time I've ever broken a phone so hopefully it doesn't happen again!

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

He would have to add a data package to upgrade to a smartphone, however he could discontinue that data package as soon as he reactivates his old phone.

If he for some reason decides to leave Verizon within the next 2 years, though, his ETF would be based on the smartphone he purchased with his discount, which starts at $350 and drops $10 each month.

0 Likes
blh87

Okay that's what we thought but we wanted to make sure before we tried it. Thank you very much!!! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

When your father upgrades, they may try to persuade him to join the Share Everything plan. If his current plan is cheaper than the Share Everything plan, he doesn't have to switch. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

The only reason this would not be the case is if you make the purchase somewhere other than a Verizon store. In the past, 3rd party retailers were not able to keep your old plan. Not sure if this is still the case. If you make the purchase at a Verizon store, though, you should be able to keep your old plan if you would like.

The Share Everything plan for single line basic phones has gotten a bit better since the introduction of the new pricing structure, but you would have to check if it would be better to switch or stick with your father's old plan.

Good luck.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

blh87, we understand that things do happen. In the future, you have the option of adding insurance to your device which covers it if it's lost, stolen, or damaged http://bit.ly/13EUp25  However, if your father orders a new device for you on his line, then he would be required to accept the terms and conditions of a new two year contractual agreement for the promotional pricing recieved. However, he doesn't have to intitially activate it on his line. As a result, no changes to his current calling plan or billing will be needed.

Please be advised that if you're ordering a 4G Android device, you will need a sim card for your mobile number, which can be acquired at a local Verizon Wireless store http://vz.to/3SdsA or by contacting our customer service department to order one for you at no charge.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rcschnoor, thanks for supporting blh87 with information regarding the option to switch to the Share Everything plan when upgrading to new equipment. We certainly want to ensure that his father is on the best plan to fit his needs. As a result, you are correct, his father can keep his current plan as long as it's working best for him. Here's more information regarding our Share Everything plans: http://bit.ly/xdDajD

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes