Upgrade question
TsuaSai
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not up for an upgrade. My mother in law is and said she would give it to me. She just uses a dumb phone now and doesn't want anything else. Is it possible for her to give me her upgrade so I can get a 5 and her not have to pay a data fee for two years? She doesn't mind having to change her regular plan to something more current just doesn't want to be stuck paying for a data plan and having a dumb phone.

If it is something possible is it something we have to go to the store in to do? Or can we just order it online and move it over to my phone and cancel the data once we have? Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade question
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

TsuaSai wrote:

I am not up for an upgrade. My mother in law is and said she would give it to me. She just uses a dumb phone now and doesn't want anything else. Is it possible for her to give me her upgrade so I can get a 5 and her not have to pay a data fee for two years? She doesn't mind having to change her regular plan to something more current just doesn't want to be stuck paying for a data plan and having a dumb phone.

If it is something possible is it something we have to go to the store in to do? Or can we just order it online and move it over to my phone and cancel the data once we have? Thanks

yes; unless your plan is really old, you should be able to order a phone on the MIL's line, add a $30 2 GB data plan, and then when the phone comes in, activate it on your line and cancel the data plan on your MIL's line.  Of course, then she will have a new two-year contract and won't be eligible to upgrade for 20 months.

0 Likes
Not applicable

tikibar1 wrote:

TsuaSai wrote:

yes; unless your plan is really old, you should be able to order a phone on the MIL's line, add a $30 2 GB data plan, and then when the phone comes in, activate it on your line and cancel the data plan on your MIL's line.  Of course, then she will have a new two-year contract and won't be eligible to upgrade for 20 months.

Why not just swap upgrades? Wouldn't that be easier? Unless they are not on the same account or he has unlimited data and want to keep it.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I don't believe they are on the same account

0 Likes
TsuaSai
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is correct.

I have explained to her that is she still renewing her contract and she doesn't care. When just wants to be able to cancel the data package and not be stuck paying for it for two years.

0 Likes
Not applicable

TsuaSai wrote:

That is correct.

I have explained to her that is she still renewing her contract and she doesn't care. When just wants to be able to cancel the data package and not be stuck paying for it for two years.

On her first bill after the upgrade they'll charge a prorated amount for the current month for data plus the next month and the upgrade fee. If you make sure the cancel the data the same day or the next day you should get all the data fees back except for 1 or two days on that same bill. But you'll still be charged the upgrade fee which will be $30 plus taxes. My point is her bill is going to have a lot of numbers being added and subtracted. In the end it should be about close to $40 higher. So be prepared.

0 Likes