Upgrade from basic to smart phone before contract finishes. What are my options?
mroset

Hi everyone,

I'm working on upgrading from a basic phone to a smartphone.  My current phone is one line in a shared plan (1 iphone and 3 basic phones).

My current contract isn't up until September 2014, but it's become necessary that I get a smartphone this winter.  Obviously, that's not going to happen without some fees, but I'm trying to figure out what my options are.  This is what I think I have, but are there ones I'm not considering?

1. Buy a phone through verizon without the subsidy.  I assume this resets my 2 year contract.  But there's no early termination fee, right?

2. Buy a verizon-ready used phone from a friend and apply it to my account.  I believe that this doesn't incur an ETF either, right?

3. Add a new line with a smartphone (with subsidy).  Transfer my number to that phone, and then pay to terminate the basic phone line (which would be $175-5/month, so $105, right?).

4. Pay to terminate this line ($105), and move to another carrier, but my number wouldn't transfer.

Any recommendations within these options, or things I haven't mentioned?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade from basic to smart phone before contract finishes. What are my options?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

My responses to your questions.

1. Buying the phone at full price doesn't reset your current contract term.
  2. This works as written and is considered a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) change. You will need to add a tiered data plan to your line with either the full price or bringing your own equipment.
  3. You can add a new line, but you can't transfer your phone number to that new line. The contract for each line is associated with that number.
  4. You should port the number to the other carrier first. This will also effective effectively cancel your line. You will incur the ETF.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: Upgrade from basic to smart phone before contract finishes. What are my options?
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

1. If you buy a phone without subsidy, there is no contract. And no ETF -- you'd simply put the new phone on the line and the contract end date is the same.

2. Correct. You can activate a phone you bought elsewhere anytime. It won't change your contract. You will simply have to add the data plan.

3. The contract is tied to the phone number. So if you add a line for a smartphone, that number/line would incur the $350 smartphone ETF. But you can transfer the new smartphone to your current line, then put your basic phone on that line -- it will either cost you $10/month if you're on a Nationwide plan or $30/month if on Share Everything.

4. You can port your number to the new carrier and pay the ETF, which seems it'll be about $105. Every carrier has to allow porting nowadays. Just know if you're not happy with the new carrier and want to switch back to Verizon within the first few months (either 60 or 90 days, I can't recall), you'll be put right back on the contract you were on.

I can't think of any other options. When I feel like switching and I'm under contract, I typically choose No. 2 in your above scenario.