Upgrade Question
spotteddog

I am eligible for an upgrade. If I order a new phone from Verizon on line, I understand that I will receive complete instructions how to activate, etc. with the new phone.

Is that correct?

I never did an upgrade before. Do I plug into my PC to do it? Could someone give me basic instructions (or a link to instructions)? I would appreciate it. Don't want any surprises.

Thanks  Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade Question
Not applicable

I have purchased all my phones on-line.  I don't remember the specifics of the activation, but it's pretty straight forward and did not involve plugging into a computer.  If your new phone has a sim card, that might be different, but I'm sure it will not be a problem.

0 Likes
spotteddog

Thanks, Jim

Never did an upgrade before. I'm getting there, but am behind the curve on all things electronic.

I wanted to buy the new phone online rather than going to the Verizon store, if activating the new phone isn't complicated. 

Joe

0 Likes
Not applicable

The only thing that could be a little complicated is getting your contacts from your old phone to your new phone.  I think it's not a problem if you can use Backup Assistant or whatever it's called.  When I recently upgraded my wife's phone, it was so old I could not use that and I had to manually reenter all her contacts for her.  You also want to make sure you'll be at home when FedEx or UPS or whoever it is delivers your phone.  I'm retired, so it's not a problem for me.

0 Likes
spotteddog

OK. Sound good.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Likes
SOLLICITOME

Use Backup Asst to back up your contacts, go onto vzw website,  my verizon, activate new phone under your #, input the meid/esn of new phone.  This is on the back of your phone once you remove the battery. (Make sure you shut your old phone off after you have used back up assistant).  then dial *228, opt. 1 to activate.  i don't think i'm leaving anything out.  hope this helps.

Elsa

0 Likes
spotteddog

Elsa,

That sounds easy enough even for me. Guess I am ready to order a new phone.

One more thing I just thought about.

I will be going from a Basic to a Smart Phone. I will need to change my Plan. My plan is an old type plan (calls, text, data are each a separate charge). I guess I will have to switch to a "Share Everything" plan? And at what point do I change my plan? Is that part of the activation process?

Thanks,   Smiley Happy

Joe

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

If you are on a Verizon Nationwide plan(i don't know about other plans) you do not have to switch to "share everything". You can add a data plan for $30 for 2MB of data which should be plenty. It's part of your upgrade process online. If it try's to force you to switch to sahe everything, I'd call *611 and find out for sure.

0 Likes
spotteddog

That's what I was hoping.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes, don't let them try to tell you that you have to switch to Share Everything.  That is an option, but not something you have to do right now.  Your best best is probably just add a 2GB data plan for $30.  If you want a text plan, you can get 1000 text for $10.  Also, don't be surprised by the $30 upgrade fee.

0 Likes