Re: Upgrade Fee
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Upgrade fees are an industry standard now, and were initially introduced with carriers over 4 years ago. These fees were initiated to help cover the costs of assisting with set up, the tools and apps for transferring information as well as rising costs. Details on these fees are available under number 2 at

http://spr.ly/61851kTSU

0 Likes
Susan2020
Contributor - Level 1

So here are scenarios for which I see the charge amount applies. Please comment if any of these are wrong. 

1. Buy unlocked phone at 3rd party retail store full retail price. Go online activate it will cost $20. 
  2. Buy Verizon branded phone at 3rd party retail store full retail price you are asked to create Verizon new customer account or add new line/upgrade device on existing line. Charged $40 for activation/upgrade. Charge description depends which option you select.  
  3. Buy a phone at Verizon store, pay upgrade fee $40. 
  4. Buy a phone online at Verizon, pay $20. 

Basically, you save $20 by doing it yourself online whether to activate/upgrade. Doing in store at Verizon or Verizon authorized dealer will always cost $40. You won't be charged both at the same time. It would be one or the other. 

What's odd is if you buy an unlocked device at Verizon store, you should be able to go online activate yourself so you are only charged $20 instead of the $40 in store. Unless they require activation for all phone purchases? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

To make sure that we are on the same page, $40 Activation Fee applies through any rep-assisted channels. $20 Activation Fee is for online orders. BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@E143SLIME8 wrote:

We have (had) a Gizmowatch2 with Verizon and still have the line with them. The watch was lost and now we have a younger grandchild that wants the watch. I went to purchase another to be added to the existing line/phone number and am being told that I have to AGAIN pay an "upgrade fee" just to complete this transaction. I told them I am NOT upgrading but simply replacing a lost watch to be placed onto the existing phone number. They will not budge on this fee even though we have 5 lines with them and have been with them for 30 years.

Completely dissatisfied with their customer support and am seriously thinking about bailing out.

You can call it whatever you like but the fact is you are upgrading the line. Let’s get rid of the term ‘upgrade’.   All it means is ‘you’re buying a new device from Verizon‘, so you incur the fee.  
To avoid the fee, buy 3rd party and tell them your prepaid.  You might even save a few bucks.   Since you were purchasing a gizmo which I believe has an embedded Sim card you will have to have someone at Verizon activate the device for you.  It’s sure to trigger the charge. 
With the phones you buy yourself, it’s as simple as moving the Sim card from one device to another and there’s no fee involved.   

I paid activation fees once when we joined the carrier. I have not paid an upgrade fee because I do not buy my devices through the carrier and I do not finance. I walk in to someplace like Best Buy and buy a compatible phone at full price. I will even tell them I’m a prepaid customer if I need to.  I bought a new Note 10 plus for half price off swappa.  And a Oneplus 7t direct when the price hit $499

Susan2020
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks I understand. I believe the scenarios laid out are still valid right?

Customer can still purchase a phone outright and then go online to self service activate except I believe that is different when it is done at a Verizon store or rep-assisted which would cover authorized retailer. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our goal is to have your upgrade experience run as smoothly as possible. We understand that having additional fees is never any fun but definitely worth it once you have the new phone in your hand. The Verizon wireless upgrade fee is a one-time charge when you upgrade your device. No matter what type of upgrade you choose, you also gain the benefits of Verizon 4G LTE network and express self-service option, including My Verizon, and My Verizon Mobile. The upgrade fee is applied for the operational cost changes associated with upgrading and activating devices.

GeorginaG_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@Susan2020 

We need to distinguish the terms ‘Activate’ from ‘upgrade’.   

By activate, if you mean new service or line, yes there is a charge for activation.   has nothing to do with a PHONE.  $40 with help in store.  $20 online.

Upgrade is not the same.  Upgrade is the process of buying a new phone.   No matter how you buy a new phone, its an ‘upgrade’ to you.  
There is no charge to ‘activate’ a new phone you BYOD on an existing line.  You move your own sim card And restore your own data.    Carrier is not even in the loop Unless you need CDMA-less provisioned (at no charge). 
$40 in store.   $20 online.   $0 if you BYOD and swap your own SIM.  

0 Likes
Susan2020
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon support said that BYOD that has not been activated on your account before will incur an activation fee. Like if I have a device I use on my line now but I am swapping with another device which I own and never had on my line before, I will be charged activation to get it on my existing line. Every new device not yet been on your line, will incur an activation fee. 

You will get charged either way $40 if rep assisted or $20 online. Maybe years ago there was no charge to swap BYOD on existing lines but now there is always a charge unless the Verizon rep gave the wrong info. 

If I go out and buy a new unlocked device for myself retail price. I imagine that I can  go online and activate it on my line which I will incur $20 activation.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

If you are activating a device on an existing account with a SIM previously activated, you will not need to pay a fee. If you purchase the device directly from Verizon, there will either be an Upgrade fee or Activation fee required. Does this help clarify?

0 Likes
Susan2020
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, @vzw_customer_support that does help clarify. I believe the rep I spoke with misinformed me about being charged activation fee for swamping another BYOD with my already activated sim on my line. 

I can buy a new unlocked device from elsewhere (not Verizon) which makes it BYOD and use my existing sim which has already been activated on my line and not incur a fee? 

0 Likes