Re: Unlocking a phone... Verizon refused
Tidbits
Legend

It doesn't scale like these "experts" think it does.  If they ran a large network like I do they'll know first hand it doesn't always work like that...

Think of it this way... small scale and how it doesn't work when you scale up.  Let's assume a router, and has a 100mb back end and it can accommodate 50 users.  Due to networking let's say(being conservative here) lose 10% of that 100mb connection.  so let's say your 50 users are all on right now splitting 90mbps .  It'll work all fine and dandy right?  What happens when you introduce 50 more users?  Another 100 users?  you need more towers and more back end right?  Now look at London  They are how many people on that islands(FYI speeds are not all that fast OUTSIDE of London.  I was just there last year on vacation).  Their network can never hit max capacity.  I'd be surprised if they ever hit 50%...  Here in the states we have an astronomical amount of people compared to England.  Our back end needs to be upgraded and majority of the back end belongs to... Comcast...  They have a cap on EVERYTHING including business accounts to not get throttled you have to work out a tiered system deal.  They need to UPDATE their network before any carrier can offer unlimited and have it sustainable.  Like I said before they pay overages like we do.  The more users the more likely to hit the cap before overages.  IF they are losing 20M on data plans being unlimited you know good and well they'll remove it...  Sprint already went on record to that fact.  Sprint and T-Mobile only offer unlimited because they are more than likely not anywhere near their total capacity and most of their network is slow.

So in order for me to believe these experts they have to show me something beyond my experiences with a network larger than the Pacific rim in multiple countries we have agreements with.

0 Likes
Kable717
Enthusiast - Level 3

Surprisingly enough I am having the exact same issue. I was talked in to converting my service to an Edge contract. I was told that Verizon and all the other carriers were going to this new system and that I pretty much had no other choice. Keep in mind that this was a representative from a Verizon corporate owned store. Further more I was told that once I paid off my phone I could have it unlocked and I would be able to delete all the bloat ware on the phone and I could switch carriers as well.

After having My Galaxy Note 3 for 3 weeks I suddenly can not get reception at my house. So today I went in to talk to Verizon about my phone. It turns out they made some changes on one of the local towers and I no longer have any reception at my house. Not only that but they will not sell my a booster. So I asked if I paid off my phone could I switch to another carrier. I was then told that currently they do not unlock phones and that I would have to have the other carrier unlock it. Well guess what, no they won't. I went to T-Mobile and Sprint and they both said that they could not unlock my phone even with proof of ownership and both carriers also said that even if they could they would not let my phone on their system any ways. T-Mobile said it was because their system operates on GSM and that my phone happens to be a CDMA phone, while Sprint told me that they would need to flash my phone with their version of the firmware which they could not do.

So, remind me again what exactly I am getting here for paying full price for my phone?

Kable717
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interestingly enough I am having the exact same problem.

ttipgem
Master - Level 1

As noted in this thread, the Verizon Galaxy Note 3, being a 4G LTE phone, is already unlocked.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kable717,

Let's get to the bottom of this, I know it's important to have your phone functioning the way you need it to. Did you pay full retail for the phone in one purchase or paid for it with Edge? The phone is unlocked for glboal travel, but if purchased through us on Edge, it is designed to work on our network.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
igovirginmobile
Contributor - Level 1

Why would Verizon follow a law or rulling if there is no stick to back it up? As long as they can take your money AND make deals with other busineses to put crapware on your phone that you can not remove to make more money Verizon does not care what happens.

Kable717
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for replying to my post and the information. After looking over my original post I feel I need to clarify a few things, so please bare with me. I was aware that the phone was unlocked as far as being able to use it for global travel. I guess the big issue here is the term "unlocked" and what I mean and what you mean. I am talking about having root access and or the ability to delete some of the bloat ware off my phone. i.e. VZ Navigator, VZ Cloud, NFL Mobile, Verizon Tones, etc.

A few months ago we started having receptions issue with our Verizon phones at our home. Suddenly one morning we started noticing that our calls would drop and that we getting poor reception in our back bedroom. I called Verizon support and after researching the issue we were told that we could buy a signal boaster or get home service. We wound up getting home service and things seemed to be fine.

A few months later I went in to my local corporate Verizon store, which was  about a month ago,  to get a new phone and to discuss some new reception issues I was having at home with our Verizon phones. We had had some reception issues before, but now we suddenly had no reception at all. Any ways, the Verizon representative I talked to was very helpful and told me that Verizon was switching all of their customers over to the new Edge program and explained all the benefits I would get on the new program in exchange for paying full price for my new phone. I was told that the new Edge program would allow me to upgrade my new phone any time I wanted as long as I had paid off at least half the purchase price of the phone and that if I paid off the phone and then choose to upgrade I would get a $300 credit towards my next phone. I explained that my family does not upgrade very often so that was not much of a benefit. So, the representative went on to tell me how I could unlock my phone after paying the full price of the phone and I would have complete access to the phone and I could also switch carriers and take my phone with me. Again I replied that switching carriers was a nice option, but again not something really big in the scope of things unless Verizon suddenly started having service or customer service issues. However, being able to have complete access to my phone was a really enticing option since I could get rid of any bloat ware and I could customize my phone without worrying about an issues with Verizon regarding my service. So, I went with the Edge service and got a Galaxy Note 3.

Any ways fast forward about 3 weeks. We were still having reception issues and so the issue of buying my phone out and switching carriers came up. Again I went in to Verizon to discuss my reception issues and I was told that we could purchase a cell signal booster for approx. $300, but only if Verizon approved that we could use a booster at all, or I could buy out my phone and switch carriers on the one phone and use it for home use. That lead in to the discussion of unlocking the phone and switching carriers. But after discussing the issue it came out that Verizon could not unlock my phone and that after purchasing the phone I would have to go to the new carrier and have them unlock it. So, before buying out my phone I went to T-Mobile and Sprint. Both of them gave me different reasons, but basically came to the same result which was that they could not unlock my phone and our they would not allow my phone on their system any ways and so if I purchased service from them I would need to purchase a new phone.

So, my biggest issue right now is cell reception at my home. That is the main issue. However, I would also like some clarification on the benefits and my rights under the Edge program. The main question there is what am I actually getting for paying the full price of my phone? Can I unlock my phone if I pay it off and by unlocking I mean do I get full access to the phone it's self, not unlocking the SIM and having access to other carriers? If not, then the staff at my local Verizon store need to be re-educated and the information that Verizon is putting out about their Edge program needs to be clarified, because right now the only real option I see is the ability to upgrade my phone any time I want instead of every two years.

Right now I am making monthly payments on my phone via the Edge program; however, I am more than willing to pay off the phone right now if it means I can have the phone unlocked and as such I can have complete access to the phone including deleting any applications I don't need. 

Tidbits
Legend

If the device is an LTE device it is UNLOCKED by default and CAN'T be locked.  It's not like the 3G, and older devices as they don't follow block C rules.

0 Likes
Kable717
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon's Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900V) has it's boat loader locked. This is discussed in several forums on the xda-developers.com web site. Yes, the phone's SIM card functionality is unlocked from the factory, but the boat loader at least the boat loader on Verizon's version of the Note 3 is locked. We are discussing two different things it appears, unless I and the folks over at XDA are missing something. This is also information I have received straight from Verizon. All in all not a big issue depending on what you are seeking to do, but my issue is the information I was given to pursued me to go with an Edge plan and then finding out almost all of that information is incorrect. Also in regards to the SIM card being unlocked. What good is it to have the SIM card unlocked if you can not use it with any other domestic carrier here in the states? Yes, I can travel abroad and use a SIM card overseas if necessary, but domestically no. Yes, it might technically work on some carriers, but not all. Per T-Mobile corporate, the phone will not work on their system period. Per Sprint it might work, but if they determine that you are using an unlocked phone they have the right to terminate services per the small print of your service contract. Again I am trying to make sure the information I have is correct which is why I posted my issue here in Verizon's forum. Again I understand the phone is SIM card unlocked for global travel, but that is not what I am talking about and that is not what I discussed with my local Verizon representative. I am talking about the boat loader. Even Samsung has told me the same thing. Yes, I am aware it would void my warranty, but that is not the issue either. I am trying to discuss the information I was given by the sales rep concerning being able to have complete access to the phone upon full purchase and specifically having Verizon unlock the boat loader plus having the ability to switch carriers domestically. Both of which I am now being told is not possible.

ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Verizon is not going to unlock the boot loader. And they are under no obligation to do so. And I believe discussions about that subject are not permitted in the Verizon Community Forums.

0 Likes