Re: Unlimited plan - slow hotspot
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Actually it does. if your expectation for services are beyond what that service can handle because you do not know how something works then yeah it's a problem.

it's like a satellite internet customer mad at high latency and demand the satellite company do something because they "know" for fact they are doing it on purpose but in reality it has to do with the fact that the speed of light is fixed and the satellites are in SPACE and there is nothing that can be done short of increasing the sped of light with goes against the laws of physics. Yeah not knowing that you can't send a signal faster than light speed and the satellite signals have to travel over 90,000 miles round trip IS in fact an issue. That's just an example and wireless has it's own kinds of limitations which are different but limitations none the less.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

By the way the other carriers have a max 10 GB of 4G speeds then max speed of 512 kbps. Technically T-Mobile does have an unlimited hotspot but if your hotspot use is more than 50% of your total use once you reached 50 GB they can terminate your service. And it's a $25 add-on. So until at&t and T-Mobile up their hotspot 4G caps and throttle speeds Verizon as no incentive to do so.

0 Likes
BAF82
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually it doesn't matter how much anyone knows about wireless geek speak.  The main factor in my situation was deceptive sales practices.   If the sales rep at Verizon was upfront about the slow down of the hot spot after a certain amount of data was used, this customer would not have purchased either the hot spot or signed the two year contract for it.  I accept a portion of the blame for not being a smarter consumer, but it doesn't change the fact that a deceptive sales practice harms both the buyer and the seller at the same time. Once my contract time is up (my just deserts for being a poor consumer), I will leave all Verizon accounts and like I said, NEVER LOOK BACK.  So whether or not the system wasn't meant to deliver matters little if that important information is not passed on to the consumer.  I guess it's like P.T. Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute". 

0 Likes
Dwood95503
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too have Go Unlimited and I am still coming to terms with the fact that when using my phone as a hotspot, it is throttled to a crawl.

My question is if I am using the hotspot, is it counting against my 15 gb of LTE? I mainly hot spot my Apple TV, but my 15 gb is being used up super fast.  I don’t think throttled data should count against my cap.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dwood95503 wrote:

I too have Go Unlimited and I am still coming to terms with the fact that when using my phone as a hotspot, it is throttled to a crawl.

My question is if I am using the hotspot, is it counting against my 15 gb of LTE? I mainly hot spot my Apple TV, but my 15 gb is being used up super fast. I don’t think throttled data should count against my cap.

Where are you getting the information that you have 15 GB of LTE on the Go Unlimited Plan? The Go Unlimited Plan doesn't have a data limit for overall data usage  but it does have speed restrictions when you are connected to a congested tower or when you use the hotspot feature.

Go Unlimited FAQs | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Dwood95503
Enthusiast - Level 2

It was my understanding that once I used x amount of data, I could be throttled if necessary due to network demands.  Up to that point, I would receive data as fast as the network could handle.  

I thought it was 15, but I also see 22 thrown around a lot.

If I understand your reply, the throttling could be anytime network traffic is high on a tower. If so, my question is moot. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dwood95503 wrote:

It was my understanding that once I used x amount of data, I could be throttled if necessary due to network demands. Up to that point, I would receive data as fast as the network could handle.

If I understand your reply, the throttling could be anytime network traffic is high on a tower. If so, my question is moot.

Those numbers would only apply if you have the Beyond Unlimited Plan or the New Verizon Unlimited Plan. You have 22 GB of LTE high speed data before you chance getting deprioritized when connected to a congested tower and 15 GB of LTE high speed hotspot data before you are slowed down to 3G (maximum 600 kbps) speeds for the remainder of the billing cycle. The 15 GB LTE hotspot data counts toward the 22 GB too.

Beyond Unlimited FAQs | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Dwood95503
Enthusiast - Level 2

That’s about the most straight forward answer I’ve had yet.  Thank you.  One more question though.  What is difference between beyond unlimited and “new unlimited “?

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Dwood95503 wrote:

It was my understanding that once I used x amount of data, I could be throttled if necessary due to network demands. Up to that point, I would receive data as fast as the network could handle.

You're understanding is wrong and Ann is correct. Go Unlimited doesn't have 22 GB before deprioritization limit, you can be deprioritized at any time there is congestion form the first kilobyte. Hotpot is throttled to 600 kbps MAX from the start.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Dwood95503 wrote:

That’s about the most straight forward answer I’ve had yet. Thank you. One more question though. What is difference between beyond unlimited and “new unlimited “?

None. New Unlimited was the only plan available when unlimited came out last years and was available until August. Same as Beyond just cheaper. Also the plan features are pretty plainly laid out on this website.

0 Likes