Re: Unlimited plan - slow hotspot
BAF82
Enthusiast - Level 2

After posting about Verizon putting on the brakes on my HotSpot, I called the Verizon customer service line.  I spoke with a very nice girl who explained to me basically what was explained to me after I posted my original message.  Although Verizon says that the HotSpot was never meant to replace my home internet connection, that was NOT the sales pitch I received when I upgraded my phones. I can fully understand that it would have been counter productive to actually me that after the data limit was reached, the speed would be slowed down to a crawl which would make streaming impossible. I've been a Verizon customer for over twenty years (both home and cell phones).  Although I take some responsibility for not doing further research before signing on the dotted line, a good faith gesture would have been to let me out of the HotSpot contract and take the $20 off my bill. I'm currently paying $175.50 a month for the so called unlimited plan on two phones and the HotSpot.  Verizon would still be getting $155.50 with the HotSpot charges gone.  I know that I can use my phone(s) to extend the high speed data through linking them with the HotSpot, but that really isn't the point.  I might have to honor this contact, but you can bet after the contracts are up, I will no longer be a Verizon "loyal" customer.  I never cared for deceptive sales practices.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would never want to lose you as a customer. We value your loyalty to us and want to provide the best options that are available to you. Were you able to reply to the requested information by the previous representative?

AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PETLEC39
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am sorry verizon. You are <<removed>>all of us with this "unlimited plan".  I have heard two reasonably believable stories of why we were sold these great UNLIMITED plans that ended up being <<removed>>. 1. Verizon did not anticipate the volume that would be used, and they did not have capacity on all their cables, and that is why the original "slow down" was installed. The Cut off of 600kbs was simply <<removed>>to enable Verizon to rob us and misrepresent their products. 2. Verizon did not anticipate how many bootlleggers would be downloading videos and music off their cellphones. and got surprised. Like the other guy said, 600 kbs is slower than the speed of computers before cell phones even existed. And most you at Verizon have never seen a time without cell phones....

It actually does not matter. Verizon is Scamming us all by having a plan called "UNLIMITED" that cuts us off at 15 GB to slower than a snail in salt. And the beamy responses from staff on this site saying, "well for ONLY $35 per 10GB you can gets boosts" or "Verizon is great that we also offer 15GB on the hotspot as part of our UNLIMITED PLAN." Pshaw. I did unlimited data and hotspot because I really do live off the grid, and can't get a cable line to my farm.  I am deceived and angry and can't wait to spend $2000 on a buried cable so that I can have REAL UNLIMITED DATA.

I would love it if Verizon did the right thing and actually reinstated UNLIMITED DATA.

<< Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

AlexJames
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey man, I like your gusto. Taking on big VZ about an issue that lets face it, perturbs even some of they're most loyal customer base (like myself, Hi Verizon!)

I remember the day i got the text that said "you have used 90% of your data in your unlimited plan). I went wait, hold the phone. (haha)

So I decided to dedicate some time to this and dig as deep as my busy body had time for

Here's what I've come away with after interviewing employees and customers for a couple weeks.

1. Verizon reps in retail locations are trained to SELL SELL SELL. this is not necessarily the fault of Verizon as the parent company here because some stores are just carrier stores and others are trying to meet certain sales expectations. So yes, they DID lie to me, but that doesn't mean VERIZON lied to me. With any store you run the risk of managers tryinf to do things "thier way". They said these exact words "oh you have Comcast? did you know if you sign up for our plan you can get rid of home internet and use the savings to upgrade to our beyond unlimited plan, so you can use your hotspot as your home internet!" They even explained to me how to set up my roku (haha right?) on my hotspot. And this was at a Corporate location in CA.

2. Verizon is trained on how to answer this problem VERY well because people ask about it ALL THE TIME so you will not receive anything other than the same generic response over and over again. They're just regular people who want to keep their jobs.

3. Data restraint is also based on usage in your area and the towers data capacity (so a vz rep told me) High user times can cripple your data, especially if you live in a populated area. I live near a college campus so I can't always watch TV between 10pm and 1am using my hotspot. It just wont load. I have accepted this. it is sad, but true.

4. Everyone's doing it. Yeah it sucks, but you should read some articles on what happened to Verizons overall speed test rating when unlimited was released. Apparently There's just not enough punch in the bowl for everyone

5. Verizon needs to work towards a bigger data cap for customers before they start limiting. mine usually runs out on the 4th or 5fh day and all i typically use is spotify and netflix for a few hours each day. Im sure as more people come around to exlusively using digital media, and resolutions keep enhancing, this issue is only going to get bigger and bigger until either Verizon breaks or a third party gives them a run for thier money. One competitor had a genius idea to not have streaming certain apps count against you. That way you don't have to panic and scream at your friends "No!! don't play that video! I have Verizon!"

boringusername
Master - Level 1

PETLEC39 wrote:

I am sorry verizon. You are <<removed>>all of us with this "unlimited plan". I have heard two reasonably believable stories of why we were sold these great UNLIMITED plans that ended up being <<removed>>. 1. Verizon did not anticipate the volume that would be used, and they did not have capacity on all their cables, and that is why the original "slow down" was installed. The Cut off of 600kbs was simply <<removed>>to enable Verizon to rob us and misrepresent their products. 2. Verizon did not anticipate how many bootlleggers would be downloading videos and music off their cellphones. and got surprised. Like the other guy said, 600 kbs is slower than the speed of computers before cell phones even existed. And most you at Verizon have never seen a time without cell phones....

It actually does not matter. Verizon is Scamming us all by having a plan called "UNLIMITED" that cuts us off at 15 GB to slower than a snail in salt. And the beamy responses from staff on this site saying, "well for ONLY $35 per 10GB you can gets boosts" or "Verizon is great that we also offer 15GB on the hotspot as part of our UNLIMITED PLAN." Pshaw. I did unlimited data and hotspot because I really do live off the grid, and can't get a cable line to my farm. I am deceived and angry and can't wait to spend $2000 on a buried cable so that I can have REAL UNLIMITED DATA.

I would love it if Verizon did the right thing and actually reinstated UNLIMITED DATA.

<< Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

You SHOULD be using a wired internet option for home internet. This was never meant to be a home internet replacement. If Verizon or any carrier offered "real" unlimited data as you want the network would be slower than molasses in January IF you could even connect. Is that what you want? Please use the internet and Google to teach yourself how wireless and LTE works so you can understand the REAL limitations of it and stop thinking it works on pixie dust and unicorn flatulence.

0 Likes
PETLEC39
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey boring, I would use a cable or a satellite service if I could nhet one

one my farm. No need to be snarky

On Feb 21, 2018 3:19 PM, "boringusername" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

boringusername
Master - Level 1

YOU are the snarky one. I'm pretty sure you can get satellite. And I'm sorry you do not have a wired internet option, but because wired ISPs refuse to service your area it is not Verizon's responsibility to provide said service. Not that they can. Now maybe in your case you could use unlimited data and not affect anything being in very a rural area but Verizon doesn't price plans by regions or zip code they price things nationally and in most areas you can not have hundreds of people trying to connect to towers to watch HD video or download games that are 50 GB or more in size and not have it bring down the network. If Verizon had "real" unlimited data everyone here would cancel Charter to save money and then they'd all be mad when they ended up dial-up internet speeds because of all the congestion.

I wouldn't presume to tell you how to farm but I don;t not knwo anything abut that. yet you clearly don't have any knowledge on how wireless works and yet have no problem to tell Verizon how they should run their business. I often say i wish for one month Verizon would offer "real" unlimited data because at the end of that month people would finally get what people like me have been trying to say.

rcschnoor
Legend

If you want an unlimited data plan without any throttling, you may want to look into

https://unlimitedville.com/plans

They have plans with each of the 4 major carriers. Each has different prices and they will be more expensive than those offered by the carriers themselves, but they will not have any throttling which the carriers include with their unlimited plans.

0 Likes
SLJ242003
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon may lose two customers. What a scam. Shame on you Verizon

BAF82
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think it has anything to do with REALLY KNOWING all there is to know about how wireless works.  I'm the first one to admit that I am old school and could use a lesson or two on all subjects wireless.  I only responded to this forum to express my disappointment with Verizon's sale tactics.   As I said in my original post, I was told by the Verizon sales representative that this HotSpot would solve my slow internet problems, and replace my internet service (DSL with Vereizon) for both my PC use and using it for streaming. It would also save me $15 a month in cost.  Additionally she said with the unlimited plan I was getting for my smart phones, there would be NO PROBLEM with the amount of data I would be using.  GREAT DEAL!   Even me being totally unschooled on wireless  would have thought twice if she had said that the speed would be slowed to a crawl once I used 15 GB of data.   That is my gripe about Verizon, and that is why once I'm out of this contract, I will be leaving them in my rearview mirror...