Re: Unlimited plan changes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jsoney,

Our network is a shared resource and all customers should have a great experience. If we didn’t contact you, you keep your plan.

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Ilovemyg35.  For the record.  ATT was threatened with a fine for "not adequately notifying unlimited data customers of its policy of throttling and when they were close to the threshold ".   They paid NOTHING.  They changed the policy within a few months.  Att does not throttle.  They reprioritiz at 22 GBs.  Some users never notice a slow down well past the 22 GB  mark. 

Verizon  was fined years ago for asking tethering apps to be removed from the Google App Store.  They back down.  But the FCC agreed at the time they had the right to prohibit unlimited plans from tethering unless they paid for the priviledge.

All carriers have written into their terms of service/Customer agreement in broad terms they can terminate a customers service without notice for any violations. 

THis is may be the only notice those power users will get.

THe link to Verizon's Customer agreement is at the bottom of this page.

0 Likes
jsoney
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I get a 20 gb plan. So does that  really mean I got 10 gb?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

jsoney wrote:

What number is unlimited? The definition of Unlimited is fundamentally defined.  And we as people can't say unlimited equal  50 or 100 apples.

ITs looked at as a matter of fair use.  If any user is causing network security or use problems, as determined by Verizon, they can count on getting kicked.  The number 200 GBs  has been mentioned.   Pretty sure it isn't defined for a reason. 

mama23dogs
Legend

Now that's just being silly, a 20 GBs plan is a shared data plan with a family.  The group on your account can use a total of 20 GBs.  if your sharing data, you, specifically may only use 10 if your wife and kids use the other 10.

But the account has 20

jsoney
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can understand abuse. There a lot of technical stuff I don't know about.  But if I'm using an unaltered device for service, how do you abuse  unlimited. Verizon has more than one towers and it looks like their not decreaseing the number of towers and features anytime soon. If your paying to have a specific service.  You picked a specific service because you know that's what you need or want.

jsoney
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your saying unlimited has a number  on it. So must  mean something else also.

0 Likes
jsoney
Enthusiast - Level 3

20 gb is not 20 gb if we can change the the definition  of unlimited.  Ifor we can chang the language of unlimited.  20 gb can mean 5 gb at any given moment.  Is that what you're saying?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

If I spell out in a contract that unlimited is unmetered service for reasonable use that does not include torrents, servers, home internet and I define that anyone that uses over 100 GB breaks reasonable use I can do that in a contract. I'd like to see someone using 500 GB (the median being asked to leave) that is not breaking the terms of service and is using that 500 GB on the phone.  They are not.

Even the discrete numbers (like your 20 GB example) need to be defined in the contract.  Is it 20 GB for 1 month, does it carryover for 1 month, a 1 year?  Point it is is not 20 GB until you decide to use it, which is what the consumer would want.  The contract determines definitions, not Webster.

IF people did not take unlimited literally to the max  and pushed beyond the TOS, we would still have the the plans today.

mama23dogs
Legend

BY way of an example, back in November when unlimited users were notified of the increase, a user bragged he had hacked his phone to tether and was using hundreds of gigs a month.

AT the time he was gloating that $20 more was no big deal. 

if he is still paying attention, he may be considering 'depends' as opposed to soiling his BVDs.  He will certainly be first on the chopping block.