Re: Unlimited plan changes
jsoney
Enthusiast - Level 3

What are we changing the definition of unlimited.  Are companies offering what they can't promise. If I bought a new car. It's reasonable for me to get more than 10 miles out of it in a day. If the car will only let me drive 5 miles a day. Then that car company would be held for that.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

No, not really. Unlimited really meant unmetered reasonable use. Just like a "unlimited" buffet, if you just say unlimited is unlimited you will be asked to leave or not come back, rather than understanding it is a reasonable but unmeasured amount compared to pay per use. Some have just got to be unreasonable and ruin it for everyone and claim they were right because they claim a very literal interpretation.

Same with unlimited mileage on a rental car - rent a car and drive it 24/7 at 75 mph and return it. See how happy they are and see if you can keep renting from them.

jsoney
Enthusiast - Level 3

So one day will someone send me a letter saying I can only use 20gb of data from home Internet service use. Maybe I can only use 450 minutes on my home phone. People sues restaurants that have a all you can eat buffet advertising but only allowed 1 or 2 plates. Maybe the car was a bad example. When 5g service comes in. All that data being pushed you may have to turn off your phone. Who's will be on 4G service then. Some people only check Facebook,  some watch movies and some run a business from phones. Smartphone are a tool in our pockets and it's crazy to limit that

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

jsoney wrote:

So one day will someone send me a letter saying I can only use 20gb of data from home Internet service use. Maybe I can only use 450 minutes on my home phone. People sues restaurants that have a all you can eat buffet advertising but only allowed 1 or 2 plates. Maybe the car was a bad example. When 5g service comes in. All that data being pushed you may have to turn off your phone. Who's will be on 4G service then. Some people only check Facebook,  some watch movies and some run a business from phones. Smartphone are a tool in our pockets and it's crazy to limit that

MY home internet, and yours comes with a soft cap.  check your bill.  I have 100 Mbps and 700 gigs a month.  

IF you are using your cellphone to provide home internet service and using hundreds of gigs, you can expect a problem.  take the warning seriously and cut back.  if you don't tether, and use 50 gigs, I wouldn't worry. 

0 Likes
jsoney
Enthusiast - Level 3

Some people pay extra for tethering nit to mention the price increase for unlimited data

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Yes.  Some pay for tethering. 

Some have hacked their devices to tether against terms of service.  The hackers can kiss their plan good bye.

those who tether and use hundreds of gigs have a target on their back.  Cell carriers never intended for it to replace home internet or realized this volume of data could be used in a month.  Had they thought ahead, they might never have made data unlimited. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

jsoney wrote:

Smartphone are a tool in our pockets and it's crazy to limit that

You are mistakenly thinking that Verizon is "limiting" you. Verizon is not going to limit you, they are simply changing the price you pay. You can use as much data as you would like. It may not be at the price you would like, but you will not be limited EXCEPT by the amount YOU are willing to pay. YOU will be doing the "limiting".

Just as anything else in our society, the only limits people have are the amount of money they are willing to spend. Car dealerships will let you buy unlimited cars, they don't limit you, you may only want to PAY for a certain car or number of cars, though. Just as Verizon will let you purchase unlimited data, you may only be able to afford a certain amount or want to pay for a certain amount but YOU are the limiting factor. Verizon will let you purchase as much as you want.

0 Likes
Ilovemyg35

Bad example. Unlimited means unlimited. They used this to attract customers and now they want to more profits and charge more. They already increased the price to $49.99 for data plus 450 mins which is $39.99 add taxes and it comes out close to $100 a month for one line. If they are going to cap it at 100gb then put it all across the board not just unlimited data customers.  Why is it okay for tier customers to use more than 100gb but not unlimited but not unlimited customers? Doesnt tiered data customers slow down their network traffic too if they use more than 100gb? Bottom line is verizon wants to get rid of unlimited data customers. Verizon will get a class action when this happens. I can't wait to see it.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

IF there is class action, Verizon will just cancel all unlimited rather than the abusers. Why do people think they are owed unlimited forever?   You had a time limited contract that is now month to month.  

The 100 GB plan on tiered plans are for shared use over several lines, not a single line. 

IF a person on a tiered plan is using 100 GB that is close to $500 for reinvestment into more towers or microcells to support the higher capacity, compared to less than $100.  

Unlimited is is not unlimited, it is unmetered service for reasonable, non-abusive amounts. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might want to read the Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless with your lawyer before you pursue a class action.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.