Re: Unlimited data price increase(Greedy Verizon)
rcschnoor
Legend

xerosanity wrote:

I have used my phone its fullest capability.

There was no "abuse" in my contract.

I was tethering before tether plans even existed. And before unlimited was

removed I bareley used 5gb a month. Verizon is price hiking because they

know what the future holds...more data growth.

And thanks to the phone modders thst offer rooting you can gain control

over your phone do what it is capable of instead of being told what to do.

I'm sorry, tethering IS NOT included in your unlimited data plan. If you have rooted your phone in order to get around this restriction, you ARE "abusing" your contract.

Just because a phone is capable of doing something does not mean it conforms to the terms of your SERVICE agreement with Verizon.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Not only what rcschnoor said but if you are modded and you are tethering Verizon can terminate your service and probably bill you for all of the use.

xerosanity
Enthusiast - Level 2

You dont need to be rooted to tether these days. The contract does not say

crap about having tethering. Tethering has been around long before 3g

smartphones came to the public.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

xerosanity wrote:

You dont need to be rooted to tether these days. The contract does not say

crap about having tethering.  Tethering has been around long before 3g

smartphones came to the public.

You are correct in that you do not have to be rooted to tether. If you have unlimited data on Verizon, they allow you to tether for an additional $30/month fee which includes 2 GB of data for tethering purposes. Any amount tethered above that would incur a $10/GB overage charge.

If you are tethering in a manner which by-passes this method, you ARE abusing your service agreement with Verizon.

xerosanity
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tethering certainly can rack up data depending on what your doing. Regardless of tethering you can rack up data just as fast with just your phone period.  People blame tethering yet you can max your bandwidth with your phone alone.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

xerosanity wrote:

Tethering certainly can rack up data depending on what your doing. Regardless of tethering you can rack up data just as fast with just your phone period.

I have never said otherwise.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
xerosanity
Enthusiast - Level 2

Example: I need a file downloaded. I do not have access to ISP so download it with my phone in a legit manner. File is 5gb. 1.7mb/sec .

Yes..this is awesome 😄

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

That is an awesome example of downloading a file to your phone.

If you have unlimited data and download it from a tethered device and are not paying the fee to tether with your unlimited data, you ARE abusing your service agreement. Downloading it to your phone FIRST and then transferring it to another device WOULD NOT be abusing your service agreement. That would be a "legit" method to get around paying for tethering.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

We never said that tethering was what caused the high usage. We just said that if you're not paying for the service to tether and using the service, you are violating the agreement. I know that you can use 30GB on a phone without tethering. I have a user that uses about 20GB per month. I am well aware of how this much data can be used. I also have worked in this industry. Everyone is up in arms about their unlimited feature being charged a premium price. Verizon can do what it wants. They could say that they're taking it away completely. They haven't done that yet.

0 Likes
xerosanity
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the end its there business they have the right to close the doors of

course.

I have the choice to drop the service as well but I know the data pipe is

getting bigger so ill stick around for a bit to see how things play out.

0 Likes