Re: Unlimited data: Get on board with AT&T and TMobile
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

mama23dogs wrote:

Why can't Verizon just make safety mode automatic ?

Each customer's situation is different.  Making Safety Mode "automatic" ASSUMES that a data slowdown is preferred to overage charges for EVERYONE.  This is not necessarily true, and having Verizon make that decision for everyone would have repercussions, I'm sure.

So, every customer has options - overages or slow data once the allowance is reached - and each customer has to consciously make the choice to slow the data.  And if they don't "opt in" to Safety Mode, they are charged overages if they go over their allowance (that's how it's been on Verizon until this became available).

Basically, Verizon added an option.  To make that option the default would not be a wise move ... IMHO.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

They did make the "Data Boost" automatic since it is the same price as the overage fees.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I'm curious if you are positive that DataBoost is automatic or there is a DataBoost and an overage fee. From what I have read, a DataBoost purchase will carryover the unused portion of the data to the following month. I have seen nothing stating that about a data overage charge.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The unused portion of the 1GB overage data is carried over

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You know this from experience, assumption or do you have some official link stating this? I have seen info on Verizon's website stating Data Boost Data would carry over. Nothing about a normal data overage working the same way.

0 Likes
joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

It's listed in the Carryover Data FAQ.

Carryover Data FAQs | Verizon Wireless

What types of data are eligible to be carried over?

The following types of unused data will make up your Carryover Data each month:

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was an assumption on my part based on the logical fact the overage fees and the Data Boost is the exact same price. It just looks like a fancy name for the overage fees to me.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

Data gift

It's funny that you can gift yourself 1GB for $10, but purchasing a Data boost is $15.

mama23dogs
Legend

Oh great how about the useless popdata?

Verizon's 'unlimited' PopData scheme is all kinds of bullshit

Weth
Legend

I can see its use if you are in Safety Mode and need faster speed for 30 minutes and don't want to pay $15 for a GB. I think the article was right on though - Verizon comes up with convoluted ways to do things. Rather than complain, I just figure out how to get the most out of it.