Re: Unlimited Data
geminibear

Hey everyone. So i'm eligible for an upgrade.. but I would lose my unlimited data... i read that online some people are even seling their unlimited data for as much as $700...

Anyway, should i just lose my unlimited data and renew my contract.. or buy a phone at retail price ($700) and keep my unlimited data...? If it seems to be that Verizon will get rid of unlimited users in the  (near) future anyway?...

Oh and i looked carefully at my usage and I average about 1.8gb of data a month.. but of course, if i upgrade to a better phone (right now i have a old incredible 2), i would think I would be using more data....

If you were me, what would you do?

Any input would be appreciated. thanks... i didn't want to start a new thread bc of everyone actively posting re: unlimited data here.. sorry if i offend... thanks

0 Likes
Not applicable

Incentives will move only a handful of customers who don't really need or use much data.  Customers who use over 5GB (or some number?) are not going to move to Share Everything for some incentives.  The way to get rid of unlimited is get rid of it or raise the price substantially.   If they truly cannot support customers using large amounts of data, they need to drop the unlimited plan.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Average is one thing, but actual usage may be something else.  For instance, I average 4GB, but range from less than 2GB up to 10GB some months, when I travel.  It's possible 2GB would be enough, but with highs and lows, you might need 4GB.  You need to look at that, then run the numbers based on a tiered data plan of 2GB for $30 or 5GB for $50 or a Share Everything plan of 1GB for $50, 2GB for $60, 4GB for $70.  Also, with the Share Everything plan you get free tethering/hotspot if that's of interest to you.  With unlimited data, you have to pay $30 for unlimited tethering/hotspot or $20 for 2GB.  That's in addition to your data plan.  If you go with a tiered data plan, you can purchase the tethering/hotspot feature from Verizon or use a 3rd party app if you can find one that works.

Having written all of this, If I was you, I would be inclined to keep my current voice and text plan and switch to a tiered data plan of 5GB for $50.  That would be an increase in price of $20 per month versus your current plan, but would get you a new phone for $200 instead of $650, for example.  After watching your data usage for a few months, you could cut back to 2GB for $30 or switch to Share Everything and 2GB for $60.  Sorry if this is a little confusing, because it is.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It would depend on what reasons you "think" you would use more data and "how much" more data you would use.

Keep in mind that you receive a $400+ incentive on the price of your phone to sign a contract. If you spread that out over the 2yr length of your contract, that comes close to $20/month. If you go with a 2 GB plan for $30/month, you would have to exceed your data allowance by 2 GB EVERY month before you would spend more than you would if you were to pay full retail for the phone. That is DOUBLE your average data use.

As I said previously, it would depend on the probability that you would actually use more data with a newer phone. I recently upgraded back in December and have found my data usage has not changed at all with my newer phone(s). I upgraded from a Droid X and currently switch back and forth from a Droid Razr Maxx HD and a Galaxy S3.

0 Likes
Matte242

For what its worth, I wouldn't lose any sleep over no more unlimited data.  I consider myself a heavy user, and I rarely go over 1.5gb data used per month.  I have wifi at work and at home, and use wifi over 4g because its faster, and more stable (for the most part). 

Like several said earlier in this post, there are a few people that are abusing the system and everyone else is paying for it  I am not sure how people can use 10+ gb of data.  Unless you are using netflix and pandora 24x7.  Those people need to live a little, and put their phone down for a while! 

0 Likes
geminibear

i agree. i guess my battery life on even the newest, most advanced phone would die before i get close to racking up 10+gb. i just hate the idea of being "limited." Still having "unlimited" makes me feel extraordinary. When im on the couch and feeling lazy id rather look something up on my phone rather than grab my laptop. LOL. i'ts crazy how much we seem to cater our lifestyles around the smartphones. Thank you ALL FOR INPUT. I'll upgrade, keep an eye on my usage and use wifi or laptop when i can.

0 Likes
geminibear

i appreciate you putting it in those terms! you did the math hw i didnt have to!!

0 Likes
geminibear

you made it understandable. the option of cutting back or adding more data as i go escaped me. thanks for your contribution.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Oh I agree for unlimited users incentives won't do much. I was referring more to people like me where data isn't that important, but Share Everything would be $20 more per month for the same service. Until Share Everything is the same price or cheaper I see no reason to switch.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

When I am on the couch and look something on my phone because I am lazy, I am utilizing wifi and do not have any usage against my data allowance.