Unknown callers/blocked numbers
Sandra_in_NE

I have issues with Verizon and the iPhone.   I've talked to verizon a few times about this.  We hate getting calls on our cell phones from people who choose to block their numbers (they have my number, I want to see their's).  I purchased the $4.99 usage controls option to take care of this.  It didn't work, blocked numbers still came through and would show up on the bill as 9999999999.  So I called them back, dropped the $4.99 feature and per the advice of the verizon rep put: 9999999999 in the free area where you can block several numbers at no extra charge.  That doesn't work either.  

The iPhone also doesn't have a block anonymous call feature.  I don't want to ignore it; I'm one of those people that feels compelled to answer a ringing phone.  Letting the call go to voicemail doesn't work because people that block their number often will not leave a voicemail.   I don't want the phone to ring at all if the caller is blocking their number.  I'd like them to hear a message that says, the party you are trying to reach does not accept restricted calls, please try back with your number unblocked.

What's so hard about this?   It was easy with a landline!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unknown callers/blocked numbers
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Adding a block to avoid those pesky restricted calls is not hard at all, Sandra_in_NE. I'm surprised to see that Usage Controls didn't take care of the trouble for you, since it gives you the ability to block restricted, unavailable and private numbers. Our new Family Base http://vz.to/1a5eBfx also gives you the ability to block those restricted calls for all the lines on your account for only $5.00 per month. If you activate this portion of the feature, callers who chose to block their Caller ID will get the type of recording you were hoping for and the call won't even appear on your phone.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sandra_in_NE wrote:

... I don't want the phone to ring at all if the caller is blocking their number.  I'd like them to hear a message that says, the party you are trying to reach does not accept restricted calls, please try back with your number unblocked.

There's a free service called You Mail that has a feature called Ditch Mail that does exactly what you describe above.  You can use their canned message or record one of your own.  It does not allow the caller to leave a voicemail, but tells them to call back with the number unblocked (or whatever you want to say) and then hangs up.  Google You Mail - there is a premium version with more features, but I've been using the free version for years, through several phones, basic and smartphones.  Love the service!

0 Likes
Sandra_in_NE

I purchased the family base that u suggested and marked it to block unknown callers.  We have received one call since, on one of the lines, that shows up as all 99999s under the usage section of the bill.   So, what does this mean since unknown or blocked calls can't even get through (or aren't suppose to anyway). 

0 Likes
Sandra_in_NE

I know you may not have gotten to my last query but if you get a chance we'd still like an answer to this; why 9999s in the usage section when we have purchased and implemented the family base anonymous call block feature. 

Thanks,

Sandra in NE

0 Likes
Not applicable

The problem is masked numbers sent as 999999 and 000000 cannot be blocked. They are masked numbers.

However Verizon security can with a court order tell the police or your attorney or the court who they are.

Don't believe the old line that Verizon does not know who they are coming through their systems, since they are the phone company and have the technology to get the masked numbers they can find out.

Most of the spammer or telemarketing calls can be blocked. But in certain cases it just cannot be done. You cannot enter a block number of 999-999-9999 or vanity numbers like 0004369200 etc. or international phone numbers. It just is not possible.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Sandra_in_NE

So, how does a person "mask" their number?  I've never heard of this.  Everybody knows about *67 to block their number from showing on caller ID but "masking" is something I've never heard of; and, I doubt that most people have heard of it nor would know how to go about it.   Does that mean all 99999s are from telemarketers?

0 Likes
Not applicable

When a person or spammer or scammer gets a line from a phone provider the tools associated with that line can be used to mask their actual phone number. I personally don't have the knowledge in this technology but if on the same basis as my web control panel, I simply change the main site into spin off sites which belong to the whole. That is my best guess.

Usually 800, 900, 888 or 555 numbers can block or mask their id's I was getting phone calls a few months back at home and yes not the same as cellular but the company in question was using like a randomly generated number. All 15 of these numbers were from a local company so as you blocked one another is generated. Sneaky at best.

In some cases they use the same technique to send text messages. Cannot block them, but I am sure the phone company (verizon) can get the identity if you push hard enough.

Sorry I can not assist further.

0 Likes
braveheartkim
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had exactly the same problem and the "Family Base Plan" didn't work at all for me.  I wanted the same feature - a generic message heard by the caller that says something like "This customer does not accept restricted or blocked calls.  Please un-block your number and call again."  (something like that)  VZN customer service told me that the Family Base plan would do that for me, but it not only does NOT have a feature to select that option, it did NOT stop blocked numbers from calling through and getting access to my voicemail.  The numbers still ring through showing "Unknown" or "Unavailable" or "Restricted."  Very annoying.  It's a very easy option for a land-line to have this feature to block unknown callers, forcing them to UN-block their number and call back.  So why can't VZN provide this same option/feature and why do they make us buy the whole "Family Base Plan" to allegedly GET that option when I don't need that whole package?  It  made me treat my husband's line like a "child's" line and I kept getting email updates on all his phone usage.  Unnecessary (in our family with no children or teens) and annoying.  *SIGH*  Still searching for the answer.  Very frustrating !!!  😞 

0 Likes
braveheartkim
Enthusiast - Level 2

SuzyQ - Thank you for the suggestion.  I will look into that app and see how it works.  THANKS !!