Unexplained Data Usage While iPhone is Not in Use
hell_interface

I have been a loyal customer to Verizon for 4 years. I had an iPhone 4S until Sept. 23rd, when I purchased an iPhone 6 Plus. Prior-to the swap, I received a data usage notification, saying I was at about 90%, on Sept. 19th. This was one day before my billing cycle restarted, so I ignored it. Now, I've had no change in use, no change in WiFi connectivity at home or work (which have been the same at both locations for 5 years), and in less than 2 weeks, I have, for the first time ever, gone .2 GB over my 2GB monthly allowance.

When I went into My Verizon to review the list of times/amounts of data use, I found something that neither Verizon, nor my common sense could explain, and the short of the response I received after 45 minutes on the phone was "we'll submit a billing review request." I don't care about the extra $10 or so for going over. I care for the following bullet-points:

1. I am OCD; I close every app I use directly following use

2. I have Background App Data shut off

3. My email does not have anything stuck in "Outbox" or "Sent" in either my Exchange or Gmail accounts

4. Nothing has changed relative to phone usage in the last 4 years

5. THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT: These data spike are occurring at between 5:22am and 6:30am, before I'm even awake on weekdays, AT HOME, connected to my wireless router. The router is fine, and the phone works perfectly, as well as my router at work.

I'm also a back-end networking engineer. None of this makes sense.

Spikes from 70mb - (and in one instance) 250 mb while the phone is not in use, and connected to my home Wifi.

Additionally, one suggestion from Verizon rep "Jason" was to bring the phone to Apple, because there may be a problem with it.

Someone, anyone, please get me some answers on this. Right now, it seems like neither Verizon nor myself can detail the data use, and I simply don't want to deal with this headache every month.

I feel like Verizon is scamming me..

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unexplained Data Usage While iPhone is Not in Use
rkoz

We have the same issue as soon as we got our iphone 6 plus, our data went through the roof.  The phone was home with wi fi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Unexplained data can be really frustrating to deal with, rkoz!

You can go to My Verizon, and check the dates and times of the data, as well as how much data was used in each session. This may help clarify how it was used. http://bit.ly/xB4iTc

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
hell_interface

MichelleH_VZW - you responded to a commenter on my post, but not to the actual post. There was no help in that response. Any chance you can read above and give some insight?

I know what the dates and time are from looking at the rundown in My Verizon, and the peak data spikes (as noted above; 70-250 mb in a quick/brief timeframe) are during times when my phone is not in use (5:22am - 6:30am on weekdays, while I'm still asleep), when connected to my home wifi, and all apps are closed (no background app data is used as I have that shut off).

It would be awesome to have some restored faith in you guys, here..

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

What app is using the data according to settings/cellular/Use Cellular Data For?

I would reset the counters and see what is using data overnight to help narrow down problem.

Plus it is good data if you reset counters, and the iPhone shows no cellular data but Verizon does.

0 Likes
hell_interface

As explained above, no apps are using data overnight. I close all apps and have "Background App Refresh" disabled.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for that information again, hell_interface.
Have you gone to Settings>Cellular to scroll to the list of apps to review the data usage?
Apple has noticed increased data with iOS 8.
If an iTunes back up was restored on the iPhone 6 from an iOS 7.X.X it may cause apps to require updates. Please restore the device, but make sure the applications are not selected for the restore. Once the data is restored, download the most recent version of the application from the App Store.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

But what about system services? That would not be changed but background app refresh.  Did you reset counters to see the data users being detected.  

0 Likes
hell_interface

I can view which apps use data, but it doesn't itemize by time. I need a clear understanding from Verizon as to WHAT is using data at 5:22am, while the phone isn't in use. I have nothing running. I have confirmed this multiple times.

Apps update from the App Store automatically, and I also check for updates frequently. All apps are up to date. That shouldn't even affect random data usage at specific (recurring) times every day.

I feel like I'm getting the run-around here.@

0 Likes
papapeace

We recently bought my daughter the new iPhone 6+, and when she is not on Wi-Fi it uses between 400mb and 1.3Gb. EVERY 6 hours!  When the phone is on Wi-Fi, this doesn't happen. 

0 Likes