Understanding Global GSM unlock on 4G phones
skybluedream

Hello all,

Planning to purchase a Verizon LG G2.

I'll be purchasing it at full retail price without a contract which is $499.

I want to ask if I do this & take the phone to my country outside USA insert my local gsm providers sim card it will work or not?

I have been told 4G LTE Verizon phones with sim card slots & gsm radio are globally GSM unlocked.

I have asked Verizon support 4 times now via phone, chat, twitter...I've had conflicting answers..

Once I was told Yes this will work.

Then I was told I need to activate the phone pay an activation fee of $35 go on a monthly contract only then will I be able to use the phone even if I'm outside USA & using another sim card!

I am confused now & want to ask you will this phone LG G2 work outside USA completely if I purchase it at retail price from Verizon store without activating or anything then take it back to my country open it in my country & insert my local sim card & start using?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Understanding Global GSM unlock on 4G phones
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Skybluedream, you have come to the right place! The 4G devices are able to be used with a 3rd party local Sim card without any additional steps to unlock. You will just need to check with your international carrier to see if their Sim and service is compatible with the device.

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Skybluedream, you have come to the right place! The 4G devices are able to be used with a 3rd party local Sim card without any additional steps to unlock. You will just need to check with your international carrier to see if their Sim and service is compatible with the device.

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
skybluedream

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I want to know if I purchase an iPad Air Verizon 4G LTE model will that too work outside USA with another carriers gsm sim card like the iPhone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for asking. The iPad Air is a 4G device, so the same rules would apply. It is unlocked, but we cannot guarantee that it will work on another carrier.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
pirata994

I will travel to Peru for over a year and bring my desire, motorola razr maxxx will use it with any operator of average country but the question is ... I read in some forums that only lasts 10 months release that is true or is free to always greetingsetings

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sounds like a fantastic upcoming trip, pirata9946. If the device is not going to be used on the Verizon Wireless network during this time period. I would highly suggest placing the device into suspension. We do currently have unbilled suspension in which you may suspend the line for 180 days ( 90 days at a time ) in a 12 month period. You can find more information here; http://vz.to/1ddOJkC

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes