Unable to bring phone number from a previous provider
kodyabbott
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told that my number could not be brought to Verizon as Verizon does not have a "licence" to have the number in the system. Does anyone know what license this is and where can I read how providers are granted these licences by the FCC?

I have called my previous provider and confirmed the account is still active and that they have made the number available to be ported to Verizon.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to bring phone number from a previous provider
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Always check here www.vzw.com/port for number portability. It is not VZW that is preventing it. It is the carrier of the number.

View solution in original post

mama23dogs
Legend

What is that provider?  

I Know there is a carrier whose numbers can't be ported, don't remember the name.

Weth
Legend

Going back to the landline days, each combination of area code and first 3 digits of the number are identified to a geographical location.  This is the location that shows up on the other persons bill when they call you.  If Verizon Wireless does not have service at that location, they cannot port a number from that location.  It is regulation and not a technical issue. But legally they cannot. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate you reaching out to us about this. Let us look at this a little deeper for you. What is the number you are looking to port? Who is the provider you are looking to switch from? I don't know if you have spoken with our Port Department directly but here is their number 888-844-7095. They can answer more detailed questions realted to the port process.
AnthonyM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some prepaid providers prohibit numbers from being moved off of the Prepaid carrier to a new provider. Just something to keep in mind, if you're willing to share who your current carrier is.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Always check here www.vzw.com/port for number portability. It is not VZW that is preventing it. It is the carrier of the number.

kodyabbott
Enthusiast - Level 2

The provider was T-Mobile but before that it came from a local telecom wireless phone provider. I live in a rural are so it is a member owned telecom company that provides cell, landlines, internet and tv. It wasn't prepaid. I had called prior to activating my phone and was told it would be ok coming from t mobile and t mobile said they were not holding it.

I bought the phone online and during the process online clear to the point of activation, and nothing was even mentioned about bringing my phone number over from another carrier.

I had talked to 2 reps even during the process online and nothing was mentioned. I figured during the activation that it would ask me if I was porting a number. Nothing. So I spent 4 hours on the first call, spoke to 5 people, was forwarded to the automated port system twice and even spoke to the port department twice. I was told to go to a store to resolve. A store is 2 hours away but by this point I didn't care, I just wanted my number. Then guess what happened? I was told to call the port department. >>

So then I had another call which was a few hours and by the end of the call someone in the Port Department finally realized they weren't "licensed" to accept that number.

I totally understand it now but I have never even heard of such a thing. Very confusing for a first time user and my expectations were definitely not met in this case. I have come to terms that I can not get the number to Verizon, just sad how things were handled and it took so long to realize.

In reply to the last comment www.vzw.com/port says to "Please check your number’s eligibility at any Verizon Wireless store, authorized agent location or by calling us at 1.800 2 JOIN IN."

0 Likes
kodyabbott
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Its the original telecom company that iis the problem.  It's anti-trust laws that prevent ATT or Verizon from taking certain lines.

I Must admit, it seems wrong when it's your number and you should be able to keep it And you should be able to get service where you chose. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend
0 Likes