Trying to upgrade using EDGE
WRC-1975
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently went to upgrade my Galaxy S4 I wanted to use the EDGE program, Now my discounted upgrade is in July 2015 (6months away)  I was told by Verizon that Ican not upgrade until July.  My account is alawys paid on time or before it is due I have been a customer for more then 10 years, I do not understand why I can not upgrade now when the sales person told me that she can upgrade ausing the edge and she has more then a year before her discounted upgrade.  So my question is how do I go about upgradeing using the edge program?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trying to upgrade using EDGE
Weth
Legend

You can't upgrade with regular Edge to any phone you want until your current contract is completed in July. 

There is 1 exception.   Verizon will run a special promotion they term early Edge.   This is not offered to everyone, and is not available all the time.   Also you can't get any phone you want, only the phone in the promotion.  In addition you must give Verizon your current phone. 

Ask ask if you are eligible for early edge and what phone is being offered.  Or wait until July to have full choice of phone. 

View solution in original post

LenaA_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello WRC-1975!  I can certainly understand your concerns with wanting to upgrade your device via Edge!  Upgrading to a new phone is always an exciting time!  Please click here: http://vz.to/18hFNL6 to view more information about our Edge Program.  Additionally, please visit http://vz.to/1A8W2nu to view how to upgrade online.  I am confident these will help you successfully upgrade via Edge.  The process is the same for upgrading via Edge as you would with your normal 2 year upgrade.  It will give you the option to upgrade at the 2 year discounted pricing or upgrade via the Edge program.  If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to let us know and we can help you further.  Thanks and have a great day! 

KristieQ_VZW 

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Weth
Legend

You can't upgrade with regular Edge to any phone you want until your current contract is completed in July. 

There is 1 exception.   Verizon will run a special promotion they term early Edge.   This is not offered to everyone, and is not available all the time.   Also you can't get any phone you want, only the phone in the promotion.  In addition you must give Verizon your current phone. 

Ask ask if you are eligible for early edge and what phone is being offered.  Or wait until July to have full choice of phone. 

Snn5
Legend

I had many issues with several replacement phones and was offered early edge.  At the time, the Turbo was all that was offered and it cost $200 out of pocket and extended my contract by 2 years from that date.  That was my only choice.  I decided to wait till the end of my contract because all the phones currently available are outdated somewhat, and new ones are around the corner, plus by the time my contract was up those new phones would be cheaper and I know with all the competition out there that plans will be cheaper too.

Snn5
Legend

I should correct myself.  The early edge only allowed the Turbo, but at full price.  The early contract extension allowed me only the Turbo and $200 out of pocket.

WRC-1975
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried upgrading online before posting this question and I did not work I was going to have to pay full price $699.99 and honestly who wants to do that?  As someone mentioned in this post I have to ask about an early edge upgrade so I guess I am gonna have to get ahold of someone in order to do that..  I usually get my phone at a different location then the actual Verizon store so not sure if that makes a difference.. otherwis I guess I will just wait until July when I am sure there willbe something else out by then (S6?)

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yes, you have to actually chat or call vzw.  You have to ask for it and provide a really valid reason.  Sure, they would get you for another couple years and get the old phone back, but theyd make more keeping you in that same phone on contract rather than trying to resell that old phone.  As far as July goes...youll be in the middle of some new phones and even newer ones for the last half of the year.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Actually more and more people are paying "full price" for phones now since you receive a discount on service for being out of contract. Depending on your data allowance, you can save MORE money by purchasing full price than purchasing a discounted phone and paying "full price" for you line access fee.

For example, when you purchase a discounted iPhone 6 for $200 instead of the $650 "full price", you are saving $450. Depending on your account data allowance, you would save either $360(less than 10 GB monthly allowance) or $600(10 GB or greater data allowance).

Why would someone want to pay full price? Because it is $150 cheaper over the life of your 2 yr service contract to do so if  you have a monthly data allowance of 10 GB or more.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello WRC-1975, We want to make sure you are a satisfied customer. The Edge program is a really good solution for when you like switching phones frequently, sometimes it is not the solution for everyone. You can stay up to date with promotions for your account by visiting http://bit.ly/dDumph

Is there something wrong with your current phone?  We are glad to help if you need any additional assistance. Let us know.

YareliM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
WRC-1975
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is actually nothing wrong with my phone at the moment.  I just figured why not try and see if I can get a newer phone before July. 

0 Likes