Trade-in program problems
skmeier
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm posting here as a last resort.  I've tried contacting the Verizon Wireless Device Recycling Team many times and can't get any answer that shows any sign of human intelligence.  I'm hoping some real person from VzW customer support could take a look at this.

I requested a trade-in back on 9/3/14.  The estimated value was $100 (an iPhone 4S) . There was some kind of glitch on the website at that time, and I ended up receiving two trade-in mailing envelopes.

I put my phone in one of those envelopes and dropped it in the nearest USPS mailbox on 9/9/14.

On 9/22/14 I received an email gift card for only $18 with the email stating that verizon had not yet received my device.

I have tried checking status on the trade-in website but it simply does not give me any information.  The website is either simple broken or there is some glitch with my particular entry, because it shows no status or information at all for me.

I don't understand what the $18 was for if the phone was never received.  Since then, I've tried to find out whether my trade in had or had not been received, and I just can't get a straight answer.    I spent hours trying to reach the trade-in customer service phone line, but it wouldn't even queue up my call, it just keeps saying "please try calling back later".    I've sent emails to support@online.trade-in.vzw.com, but the responses I get from that email address are utterly ridiculous - whoever is sending these responses is either a bad computer program or a moron.  The responses invariably have nothing to do with what I've asked and show no sign of having actually read my inquiry.

I have been a Verizon Wireless customer for over 20 years, but this experience dealing with your trade-in program makes me really wish I had not renewed for another 2-year contract!  I was getting ready to trade in my second phone, but I'm very reluctant to do so now that I'm feeling ripped-off by this badly managed trade-in fiasco.    I'd rather not switch to a different carrier, so I'm hoping for a little help from a real person here.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Trade-in program problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello skmeier,

I am saddened to hear about your incident with the trade-in program! You can reach out to our trade-in customer service team at the Contact Us button on the trade-in website for help determining whether they received your device, as well as what the $18 was for.

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Chia6

I just received an email with my Verizon gift card and it sent me a gift card value of $36. It said that my phone was locked. However, I followed all instruction to clear all data from my phone and sent it in perfect condition.

It seems that many are complaining of similar issues.If I had known that was all I would have gotten for trade-in value, then I would not have sent in my phone. I would have sold in on Ebay or other websites. My phone was in perfect working condition. I had it contained in an Otterbox and there were no scratches or cracks on it.

Who can I contact to get this matter resolved. I am very disappointed in Verizon and feel very mislead. I would like this resolved and investigated.

0 Likes
LRBrown
Enthusiast - Level 3

Welcome to the trade in program, you only get the full ammount if you complain and escalate for 6 months.  Enjoy your stay.

0 Likes
KristinL12

I am extremely frustrated as I just turned in my nearly new 4S Iphone and received $18. The program should be much more clear that for an older phone they will not give you anywhere near the value they "appraise" it at. I would've donated it if I knew this upfront.

Who can I contact to get this resolved? I'm so disappointed and as Chia6 said in her most above very mislead!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KristinL12,

Let's put those frustrations to rest. Our aim is for you to enjoy your phone on our network. Should you have any concerns with the trade in, our dedicated trade-in team can help answer these questions. Click here www.trade-in.vzw.com and select the contact us tab to reach out to them.

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Sickofthelies

I too wish I had looked at this before I decided to trade in my i-phone 4s I was told in the store they would apply the 100 credit for my phone to my bill I now look at my bill and have a heart attack they have not done this so I called verizon only to learn that they will be sending me a "gift card" via email or snail mail within 3-4 weeks well where is it?? it's been over that time frame and I don't want a gift card I "traded my phone in" that's not how trade ins work. when you trade in your car do they send you a gift card 4 weeks later for that amount or do they "take it off the top" it's time verizon steps up and starts practicing some honest fair business instead of cheating its customers out of their hard earned money

0 Likes