Trade-In Program is a Scam
ExtremelyDisappointe1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I notice I'm not the first to post something like this - not by a long shot! Here are just a few other community members who have been victims to this scam: hkjmullins benichols UnhappyVeryLongTimeCustomerRflickMattlax10 bwsch2003 Carlson7 DERZEL ouneday Testepp

And when I finally called Verizon Customer Service Support, the gentleman I spoke with said I was the fifth complaint he'd received this month!

It appears that Verizon contracted the trade-in program to a vendor. I suspect this because when I called the regular Verizon support number, he told me there was no record of me ever calling about the outcome of my trade-in. (Apparently, a systemic note appears any time I contact Verizon.) Alas, it appears I did NOT, in fact, contact Verizon when I called (877) 247-3846. Which makes sense - because no one I called there had any empowerment to make a decision. Let me tell you how those conversations went....

On the first call, I explained: I was quoted $200 for my iPhone 4. I used my beautiful-not-a-scratch-on-it iPhone 4 until the very minute before I moved my data over to my new iPhone 6. Then, I did a factory reset on my iPhone 4 and sent it back via the packaging provided on Sept. 20. Weeks later, I received an email notifying me that I'd been given a $36 gift card. According to the trade-in website, the LCD was cracked and the phone wouldn't turn on. I can assure you, my phone worked. And it didn't have a scratch on it because I used a top-rated case to protect it. At this point, I suspected the damage occurred during shipping.

The person I spoke with told me he would have someone call me back within 48 hours. He also told me that there was little to no chance I'd get anything other than $36. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, he said he was a supervisor and refused to transfer me to anyone else.

48 hours later, I called back, because (I'm sure you guessed this) I did not receive the phone call I was promised. I explained my story again. The woman told me she'd send a request to have it "investigated" and that I'd receive an email within 14 days. Again, I asked to speak to a supervisor. She claimed she was a supervisor and that there was no one to speak with. I was not allowed to speak to the person who would be "investigating" the damage to my phone.

14 days later, I called back, because (noticing a trend here?) I did not receive an email. Only this time, the phone number for the trade-in program -  (877) 247-3846 - gave me a busy signal. That's when I called Verizon Customer Support and learned about the prior complaints, the lack of system note, and Verizon's inability to influence anything with the trade-in program. David was very kind - and I empathize with his position: He is not empowered to do ANYTHING for me. He transferred me to Andrew, who heard my story and attempted to connect me with the trade-in program. He, too, received a busy signal. He promised me a call back with next steps. I expected Andrew to take ownership of the situation, but when he called back, I learned his "solution" was for me to email the trade-in program at support@online.trade-in.vzw.com.  He asked me to allow a few weeks for them to respond. A FEW WEEKS??? I emailed, but I'll bet you can imagine how much I'm counting on a response.

At this point, I'm more than angry about this. And honestly, I now suspect my phone arrived in great condition. I no longer blame the shipping process. I would not be surprised one bit if this trade-in program simply pulled a bait and switch. I'm still with Verizon, only because I HAVE to believe Verizon is not directly responsible for this. Again, I suspect a vendor supports the trade-in program. Still, that does not negate the fact that Verizon has chosen to do business with the people running the trade-in program. Their lack of service and follow-up is a direct reflection on Verizon. This is the most pathetic excuse for a program I've ever heard of. If I weren't experiencing it for myself, I'd have a hard time believing a program like this exists - dishonest, unreliable, and with zero process for resolving customer complaints.

I have two options - and only two - that will satisfy me: I want my full $200 credit by 10/24 or I want my phone back.

Verizon, I know you have the ability to provide me my credit. I've been a long-standing customer and I always pay my bill on time. I only hope I walk away from this scenario as satisfied as markpys. See his post here: Re: Verizon's recycle program is an example of the classic "bait & switch"

And I have one piece of advice for everyone reading this: Do NOT trade your phone in with Verizon. (And Verizon, fix this FAST.)

Labels (1)
Re: Trade-In Program is a Scam
ExtremelyDisappointe1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please respond, Verizon Wireless Customer Support.

0 Likes
ExtremelyDisappointe1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, to the office of Seamus [removed], for crediting my account. I appreciate you taking ownership of this situation.

Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
nicolesrq2

Same here!  My appraised value was $300 for my perfect iPhone 5S 16GB and they gave me $25.02!!  I am on the phone right now...I could spit nails!

0 Likes