Too many steps to get a new phone.
AGTAN

I am not sure where this would go, but I feel it is important to share the process I had to go through to get a new phone.

My phone was ready for upgrade. So I thought I would order a new phone online. I was chatting to a representative about the Moto Z Play, while chatting to the rep I was able to confirm that my current Moto X phone could be traded-in for $200, thus the final price of the Moto Z Play would be around $200, which was within my budget. When I went to the trade-in area, the phone was estimated around $8, but the representative assured me that once I traded in the phone I would get the full $200 (this info will be important for later). Anyways, I ordered the phone Sunday, October 30 and was supposed to receive the phone by Tuesday, November 1.

The phone did not arrive, on November 2. I received an email that my order had been cancelled. I called to find out what happened. I shipped my phone to a different place from the typical billing address. Since Verizon did not recognize the address, the order was auto cancelled. The representative on the phone said that I should have received an email to confirm the address, but I never did. I only received the email that said my order was cancelled. I wanted to re-order my phone right away, but I could not because I was not a manager of my account. I called my mom to change my account status. After she did, I called back to fix the order, but they said I had to wait 24hours before I am allowed to do anything. However, while further looking into my account she said that the order had not been cancelled and that I should receive the phone the next day. If not, I should call Verizon again. 

I did not receive the phone the next day. Instead of calling, I decided that I should go to the store, thinking that would be more helpful. The next day I went to the store and waited for 30minutes for my turn. When it was finally my turn, I find out that my order was in the "purchasing" stage. They could not do anything. The representative said that the order was on the banks/credit cards end to accept or reject and they could not cancel the order at this point. I showed the representative the email I received that the order should already be cancelled, but he said there was no indication that the order was cancelled. He said I should call the credit card that I used to see what is happening on that end. Once it passes that stage then he will be able to cancel the order and I can order the phone. When I called and checked the credit card that I used, there was no indication that an order had gone through... At this point, I decided to wait a week in hope that with time my order will process and be officially cancelled.

One week later, I checked online and saw that my order was cancelled; however, the option to "upgrade now" was no longer available. I went into the store again to order my phone. Again it was another 30 minute wait. I had about 50 minutes available time before I had to go to another appointment. During this time, I learned that the $200 trade-in that I initially learned about through chatting online was not available for the Moto Z play. Thus, I would be paying full price for the Moto Z play. I took sometime to debate what phone I wanted instead, then finally decided on the Google Pixel, since I would get the $200 trade-in value. However, I ran out of time and could not order the phone. At the end of the interaction, I learned that although my order had finally been cancelled, I had to call Customer Care to reset the upgrade availability. I had to go to something for an hour, but was going to return to the store to figure it all out once and for all. The person I was talking to said they would try to call and get the upgrade all ready for me.

When I returned a couple hours later, nothing had changed on my account. They said they could only make phone calls for me if I was there. So I still had to call customer care to get the upgrade available. Until then, I could not order a phone. Again I had only 1 hr to spare and 40 minutes of that time was spent waiting. At this point, my current phone started acting up and was not charging... I barely had any battery life left and would be unable to make any calls. I really wanted a new phone at that moment, but was unable to get one because of my account status. I made an appointment for the next day so I would not have to wait 30-40minutes again (I wish I knew I could make appointments sooner!) Anyways, I went to my friends house that night to borrow his phone to call customer care. When I called, they kept asking for a pin number, but of course my pin number is not associated with his phone so I could not connect with a person. Even pressing 0 didn't work. My friend had gone to buy dinner, so I didn't have his pin. Instead I tried chatting to people online about resetting the upgrade, but they said that can only be done on the phone and they did not know how to bypass the pin. Finally my friend returned and I was able to use his pin to talk to someone.

After explaining my situation, the person was able to reset my account. At that point, I just wanted to order the phone right there and then, but I am not sure what happened, but one of the departments was closed and I was unable to do anything until the next morning. I do remember finding out that since I previously ordered the Moto Z Play and requested a trade-in, if I traded in my phone at the point I would only be credited for the Moto Z and not the Google Pixel. They told me that I would have to call some other department for them the change the trade-in from Moto Z to Google Pixel; however, that department was closed but will be open 8am next day.

The next morning, I was trying to place the order online, but it stopped me at a point in order to confirm my credit. While on the phone, the page froze. We waited for a couple of minutes, but nothing changed. So I was instructed to refresh the page. When that happened, the order reset. There was nothing in my cart. The lady on the phone redirected me to sales so I could order the phone on the phone (previously I tried to do that, I forgot which phone call it was, but they told me if I wanted in store pick-up I had to order it online). Anyways, I finally was able to order the Google Pixel and it would be ready to pick up that day. Next I had to call in the Trade-in department to confirm that I wanted to trade in my Moto X for the $200 and not for the price I would get for the Moto Z play. When I talked to them, they said there a 30 day turn-in period. So I would not be able to trade in my phone for the Google Pixel until after the 30 days for the Moto Z Play were up.

I now have my Google Pixel, but I need to wait until November 30 before I can try appraising my phone to get the $200 trade-in. This has been one of the most frustrating processes that I have had gone through. I hope someone will read this and maybe learn something that can improve the process for the future.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Too many steps to get a new phone.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you know that you could probably sell your old phone on Swappa or another third party site for more money than what you could get through the trade-in? Just saying...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AGTAN

Haha, my phone is not worth much. On Swappa it's like $80. I get more value

for the google pixel trade-in promo.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You were referring to the Moto Z Play earlier. Now you are referring to a Pixel offer? Which deal are you trying to do?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AGTAN

The pixel offer. I got the pixel, because there were no moto z play offers.

I was misinformed.

0 Likes