Re: Throttling of unlimited 4g
Jumpie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's what people forget. By law, read Code of Federal Regulations, VZW is not permitted to deny, restrict or limit customers to use devices or applications of their (customer's) choice. The potential for excessive bandwidth use is not an acceptable reason to deny, restrict or limit. Simple. It's stated in 47 CFR 27.16. A simple Google search will show you this. This is why FCC is all over them. They are claiming one thing while the Code (read law) says another.

It will be interesting to see how VZW replies to the FCC which they haven't yet and Support will never answer that question when.

Jumpie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry, they don't allow for throttling.

0 Likes
Jumpie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

AWS is only part of the spectrum. So, no, they can't throttle the C Block portion. Gosh, people!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Also there's 2 parts that rule against that.  Fair Use clause.

They are NOT making it about excessive bandwidth.  They never stated it was.  They stated it is to reduce network congestion which falls in line about what I linked earlier that carriers are allowed to do in two different documents the FCC allows.  One is the terms and conditions since the 1990s allowed the Fair Use policies, and also the Block C rules.

0 Likes
Jumpie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's the deal. Let's say a cell tower can hold up to 100 connections. If one person were using that tower, they have all the bandwidth they want. If two people are connected, then each has 50% thus it takes longer to download something. If 100 people are on the tower, then all 100 are having bandwidth issues theoretically. Now, if 110 people try to connect, then it start slowing down even more most likely to a crawl. Now, what VZW is saying is, if you have a metered plan, and the other 99 on the tower are unlimited, then you won't be "optimized" but the 99 will even if the other 99 only used 8GB of data and you used 9.5GB you aren't "optimized." You exceeded the cap that the unlimited data users have used but because your pay more for your data, then take all you want because we will charge you more. But you other 99, since you paid only a certain capped amount, we will take away that bandwidth because we can't charge you any more.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You are assuming that everyone connecting will be using large amounts data files which never happens to most users which has been proven countless times.   So if someone is using 1.2GB and wants to use it and use it on a 20 MB file.  They get priority over the guy who used 10GB and wants to download 1GB file.  Most people on the 10GB plan usually are multi line people and use less data overall than someone on the old unlimited data plan as well.  You make assumptions to validate your thinking. 

Also the person that gets open access is paying for that open access and in theory end up paying for the additional backend that Verizon has to spend money on.

0 Likes
Jumpie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

One way this could have been solved was to not have unlimited data. But, AT&T and Verizon by default had to offer unlimited data. At the time, they didn't know how use would have exploded. However, that is hindsight. Now, it's deal with it. I honestly feel bad for people who didn't have the chance to sign up for unlimited data. At the time, if they could've, they should've. And, they shouldn't have fallen prey to VZW's "better" plans.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Jumpie1 wrote:

One way this could have been solved was to not have unlimited data. But, AT&T and Verizon by default had to offer unlimited data. At the time, they didn't know how use would have exploded. However, that is hindsight. Now, it's deal with it. I honestly feel bad for people who didn't have the chance to sign up for unlimited data. At the time, if they could've, they should've. And, they shouldn't have fallen prey to VZW's "better" plans.

Please show me where is says that because Verizon offered unlimited at one time they HAVE to keep it? All your post are wrong.

Also here the part of that rule you leave out

(b) Use of devices and applications. Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network, except:

(1) Insofar as such use would not be compliant with published technical standards reasonably necessary for the management or protection of the licensee's network, or

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

imhere2help wrote:

Jumpie1 wrote:

Please show me where is says that because Verizon offered unlimited at one time they HAVE to keep it? All your post are wrong.

Also here the part of that rule you leave out

(b) Use of devices and applications. Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network, except:

(1) Insofar as such use would not be compliant with published technical standards reasonably necessary for the management or protection of the licensee's network, or

What's "reasonably necessary"?  I think, if they can't handle the traffic demands in an area, they should increase capacity, not actively restrict customers who are paying for a service.  Put in more sites serving smaller areas to spread the load.  Verizon isn't talking about slowing people down for a few minutes. They're talking about slowing people down indefinitely because of "high traffic".  Tho they sure as heck aren't going to define what constitutes throttle-worthy traffic on a specific site.  It'll be whatever they decide it is.  And "protection of the licensee's network" can mean anything.  "All those bits he's moving through our tower are wearing it out.  We had to protect ourselves."

I don't believe a single word Verizon has published with regard to this action.  They claim 22% of their customers still have unlimited data plans.  B.  S.  Verizon switched to metered plans in 2010.  I find it incredibly difficult to believe they have that kind of customer retention in such a churny market.  And I'm pretty sure it's been a couple years that unlimited data customers have been required to pay full MSRP for new devices.  We're supposed to believe that 22% of their customers have stayed around this long and paid hundreds of dollars for their last device in order to retain their unlimited data plans?  And the average use is under 5 gigs per month?  That claim doesn't ring true if the 22% claim is true.  If all those people are moving such a small amount of data, they wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars for a new phone to keep a data plan they're not using.  If there are really that many people paying so much money to move so little data without subsidizing their equipment, Verizon should be ecstatic.  None of it adds up.

I think the reality is that they have a very small number of unlimited customers who are moving a ton of data and the chuckleheads at the top have got it stuck in their brains that they're losing money because they're not getting $350 (or whatever the current rate is) for every 50 gigs of data.  I'm paying around $125/month and moving 200-300 gigs a month.  That seems like a lot of data but I'm paying triple the rate of a wired connection.  And I'm rarely in a location for more than a week so my traffic is spread across towers all over the country so I'm not constantly slamming the same site.  If it's really costing Verizon more than $1500 to deliver 3tb of data to me over the course of a year, they're getting ripped off.

Also, if Verizon was a person, they'd be diagnosed as psychotic.  They're currently advertising XLTE.  But what good is all that speed to someone who can only move 2 gigs a month?  I was recently in Atlanta and got this from a speed test:

10489893_678777258881900_5911959843571572352_n.jpg

(I know it says <50 miles from Birmingham.  The GPS doesn't always report an accurate location when I've just moved a long distance.  I was in Birmingham that morning and it apparently hadn't caught on to the fact that I wasn't there any more.)

That speed's fantastic.  But totally useless to Verizon's current customer base.  What's the point?  One side of the company's cranking out incredible performance while the other side is threatening to smack the few people who have the potential to make use of that performance if they dare to do it.  It's lunacy.    

shojus
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just think that everyone that is saying  "I hope Verizon just cancels unlimited altogether" are the ones that are upset because they didn't get in on unlimited data. We call all of those people "haters" where I come from and "haters are ALWAYS gonna hate"!  So I pay less than you and get more data so you despise me because YOU can't get that same deal. Your data has NOT suffered from the people still on unlimited data plans. Your data has suffered because it's 2014 and technology has come to the point to where 50-60-70 year olds are holding smart phones in their hands because they know how to use it now (for the most part, lol) . Don't claim that you have a super fast network but now nobody can even harness that speed. It's just pathetic and Verizon has been overcharging customers for years as well as all of the other US carriers. It's GREED and nothing more! They can handle every bit of usage that their customers use because WE have paid for it. Ok, I'm done...  Now let the haters hate!  Lol