The Unlimited Data Upgrade Fight
IBEBIGBILL

I have been a loyal customer ever since the Alltel buyout/merger.. I finally made the decision to upgrade to a smartphone to mostly get better web access. At  the time I got in just under the gun of the unlimited data for $30 monthly just before they made the data announcement change for new accounts. When that happened I grew concerned and called to verify I was still covered for unlimited data and was assured yes I would be grandfathered under that plan. Well now in a few months I am eligible for my upgrade discount. Having read an article online in essence the company telling the stores and reps that if we the customer now decide to upgrade that we will lose our grandfathered data package since they in essence are trying to do away with it. The new plan if I go that route will give me roughly 2GB of data for the same price i am currently paying. Whether or not I use that amount of data is not the point I paid in good faith for unlimited data. I do not want to change my plan just my phone. I am happy with my plan it is the right fit. I should not be forced out of a plan I am not changing just because I am exercising a clause in my current contract that allows me to change phones at a discount. I was told by the rep at the store that if I wanted to keep my plan and do the upgrade I would have to buy the new phone outright which in that case if I had that kind of money why wait for upgrade date??? To buy a phone outright with what I was willing to spend with my upgrade discount. I would end up with a phone that is not a smartphone thus makes any data plan worthless.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: The Unlimited Data Upgrade Fight
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

IBEBIGBILL wrote:

I have been a loyal customer ever since the Alltel buyout/merger.. I finally made the decision to upgrade to a smartphone to mostly get better web access. At  the time I got in just under the gun of the unlimited data for $30 monthly just before they made the data announcement change for new accounts. When that happened I grew concerned and called to verify I was still covered for unlimited data and was assured yes I would be grandfathered under that plan. Well now in a few months I am eligible for my upgrade discount. Having read an article online in essence the company telling the stores and reps that if we the customer now decide to upgrade that we will lose our grandfathered data package since they in essence are trying to do away with it. The new plan if I go that route will give me roughly 2GB of data for the same price i am currently paying. Whether or not I use that amount of data is not the point I paid in good faith for unlimited data. I do not want to change my plan just my phone. I am happy with my plan it is the right fit. I should not be forced out of a plan I am not changing just because I am exercising a clause in my current contract that allows me to change phones at a discount. I was told by the rep at the store that if I wanted to keep my plan and do the upgrade I would have to buy the new phone outright which in that case if I had that kind of money why wait for upgrade date??? To buy a phone outright with what I was willing to spend with my upgrade discount. I would end up with a phone that is not a smartphone thus makes any data plan worthless.

You've pretty much answered your own questions. The plan was grandfathered for a while, and they did advise (newspaper, online, tv) that if you upgraded AFTER JUNE 28 you would lose it. There are plenty of threads on this. If you want to keep it, you can, you just have to pay full retail, or bring a phone from outside. Otherwise you have to go to tiered data. being a "loyal" customer has nothing to do with it. Now, if you want unlimited, you can go to Sprints slower network, where it is unlimited as long as you arent roaming, or Tmobile. But, there is nothing you can do. You did not pay into a "fund" to keep this feature.

0 Likes
Re: The Unlimited Data Upgrade Fight
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Ibebigbill,

First, I do want to thank you so much for being a long time customer. Your loyalty is definitely appreciated.  I understand this change can cause concern, but I want to ensure that you know all available options.

You may be surprised by the amount of data you actually use each month. I would log into vzw.com and run an account analysis to view the past 3 months. Don't forget Wi-Fi is available in many locations and smartphones have the capability to connect to Wi-Fi to save data access.

If Unlimited Data is definitely important to you we absolutely won't force you into changing your plan. You have the option of bringing your own device, purchasing an upgrade at full retail, or remaining on your current device. 

Keep in mind we do have a Trade In Program at vzw.com/tradein that has no limit on device trade ins. This could help keep some cash in your pocket when purcahsing full retail!

If you have any other questions feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes