Re: The Public weighs in on shared data plans
marienabend
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think most people are asking, what is the point of creating these family share pricing plans if they will only result in a higher bill?

Like you said, stay with what you have if you don't like it. I predict most people with stick with what they have and a very small number of people will switch because they save $10-50. The family shared plan is for people who DON'T use a lot of data and are text/talk heavy. That's why it has unlimited talk/text, because if you're a hardcore data user, you really don't need unlimited talk. If I added more data to my plan with the new system, I'd be paying way more. If I stick with what I have, I can add 2 smartphones to my plan and still pay less than the family shared plan.

I think most people assumed a shared data plan would result in savings. It's certainly cheaper to buy a family unlimited text plan than an individual unlimited text plan for each line. It doesn't work that way here.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

For their targeted consumer it will only be a slight increase. Enough to entice them to make the leap to data.

0 Likes
mariek102
Enthusiast - Level 2

The "stay with what you have if you don't like the new plan" argument doesn't fly.   If you  want or need new equipment, it's my understanding you will be forced to switch to the new plan or pay hundreds of dollars more for your new phone.  If you want to make any changes to your old plan i.e. adding data to a line, I believe you are also out of luck. 

0 Likes
mariek102
Enthusiast - Level 2

Our family has been with Verizon since we purchased our first cell phone many years ago. I have always appreciated their helpful customer service.  This plan however is a huge disappointment.  I am calling it the "Share Everything In Your Wallet With Verizon" plan.

PJNC284
Master - Level 2

mariek102 wrote:

The "stay with what you have if you don't like the new plan" argument doesn't fly.   If you  want or need new equipment, it's my understanding you will be forced to switch to the new plan or pay hundreds of dollars more for your new phone.  If you want to make any changes to your old plan i.e. adding data to a line, I believe you are also out of luck. 

You don't have to switch.  You can't keep unlimited if you upgrade but you can still add the normal per line tiered data package which will likely be cheaper for low data users compared to switching to a share everything plan.

0 Likes
marienabend
Enthusiast - Level 3

What PJNC284 said, you don't have to switch to shared data, even if you upgrade in the future. They will take away the unlimited data plan on our account when that line upgrades though.

However, low-data/high talk-text users will benefit from the shared data plan, while heavy data users should stick with the old system. With the old system, I can get 8GB for $273 with 4 smartphones and insurance. With the new system, I'd be paying $310 for 8GB with 4 smartphones and insurance.

0 Likes
destructor
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem is that once you add any new device, you're forced into the tiered data unless you pay full retail for that device. So those new phones you used to get for $200? They're now $500+. Not worth it. And make no mistake, most people will eventually have to buy a new device, due to theirs either no longer working, it gets lost or stolen, or they want to change to something newer/better. It's a load of BS is what it is and it sucks.

0 Likes
K-tech
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been a customer for over 10 years and I've always talked up the good points of the service to my friends, even though we pay a little more.  However, this price plan is silly and anyone who thinks its beneficial to their wallet is greatly mistaken.  I hope Verizon losses 10 - 20% of their customers this next year and this will cause them to rethink this strategy.  We rarely broken 0.5 MB per month, but I'm not going to pay $50 for that type of service.  Charging higher prices isn't always going to help your bottom line, especially if you lose your customers.  There are too many other good options out there...so I say to you...When my contract expires this year....Good bye!   I'll look you up again in a couple years...maybe. 

0 Likes
d_g_

I just spoke with them and they told me that the new bill will be a single amount and I can apply the corporate discount at the end! so in my case will be 40+40+70=150 -15%=$137.5+tax......!!!!!!!!!!??????????

0 Likes
NJ_Analyst
Contributor - Level 1

I have been a Verizon customer for many years and have stayed with them for the coverage and the quality of voice service. I have been using an iPhone for over a year and have suffered with Verizon's slow data speeds only because I am on WiFi most of the time.  Paying $70/month before taxes for 450 minutes plus "unlimited" data (I never used more than 700 MBS per month or 200 minutes of voice and usually less.) that I thought was high for my needs.  Now they want more money out of me for less data and are giving me more voice and messaging that I don't use?  As I understand it, I can keep my current plan as long as I keep my current iPhone 4 or pay the full cost ($650) for a new iPhone 5 when available.  Of course I could switch carriers but there are issues with some of their services, as well.  It looks like I will be keeping my iPhone 4 longer than I expected and just hope that Verizon changes their plans. If enough subscribers react they may be forced to change.

0 Likes