The Jamster Scam
IBM_Employee_363341

I've been with Verizon Wireless for over 2 years now, and this last bill I saw a mysterious charge for $9.99.

I call Verizon and am informed that it was for "premium texting" to a company called Jamster. This is from my elderly mother's phone line.

I brushed it off at first...I figured she might have done this by mistake. But she never sends texts. So I ask the Verizon rep to block all "premium text" messaging on all lines - what the hell is the purpose of "premium text" anyways?

I'm at work now and investigating this Jamster company....wow. Since 2005, there have been THOUSANDS of complaints and many lawsuits, and this company is still operating as they are and mobile carries are in collusion and passing on these bullshit charges onto their customers. I'm reading that I would have to text message a "stop" message to some premium number - which I will refuse to do. I do not acknowledge the charge and I do not want to play these games.

Why is Verizon allowing this collusion to go on? It appears to be an utter scam that phone carriers are going along with.

My blood is actually boiling right now - not over $10, but over the principle that so many people are being scammed in this way.

I'm also reading that the "premium text" block is only good for 180 days. It should be permanent until I say it is no longer in effect.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: The Jamster Scam
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The premium text block is a permanent feature. My block has been in place since I re-signed up with Verizon Wireless in April 2011.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Post where it states the premium text block is only 180 days

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I agree with Ann154 and budone.

Not only is the premium text block permanent, but if you have never had a premium text charge, Verizon will most likely refund the 1st one you receive IF you then put the block on that line.

I received a premium text on one of my lines several years ago, maybe 2007 or earlier, when I immediately called Verizon questioning this "random" $9.99 charge on my bill. The charge was immediately credited back to my account and the premium text block was placed on each of the lines on my account. The block is STILL in place on each of my lines and I have not had to do anything to have the block continue. If you are "reading" that it is only good for 180 days, then you are not reading it on the Verizon website, or you are mistaking something else for "premium text block". For instance, you can block specific numbers from texting/calling your line. THIS type of block DOES expire after a period of time, maybe 180 days, I don't know. THIS type of block IS NOT the same as a premium text block, though.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The specific number blocking for calling/texting is a 90 day block. This is a free service that Verizon Wireless provides for up to five numbers. If the user needs to block more numbers then they should consider subscribing to the Usage Controls which as a monthly fee.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Thanks, Ann, for the additional info.

0 Likes
NVaZN

This happened to my mothers line recently. The charge was removed as a "courtesy" but seeing as this is a scam and was not my mothers fault in the first place. As a long time customer it upsets me that it is called a "courtesy" in the first place. When I did a search for jamster the first three in the list were regarding scams.

0 Likes