Thank you for being the worst ISP ever!
JTMORG1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Six months ago, you started promoting "unlimited". You rolled it out quickly. Your customer service people were not prepared. You were not prepared. I bought into it. I guess that makes me the fool.

I cancelled my DSL and home phone service, bought a jet pack and a "wireless home phone", I set them up, and in conjunction with my 2 cellphones (hot spots) I was amazed at the ease of new setup and speed/consistency of all the connections. Praised you to everyone that would listen. I know for a fact that at least 4 people changed their ISP and went with you.

4 glorious months of truly unlimited data went by, and then, toward the end of the 5th month, everything went South.I started getting notifications that I was "exceeding hot spot data limits on my devices". No real changes to speeds occurred, so, no worries, right? After all, I had been told time and time again that at worst, I would simply experience some delays while my data was "prioritized" behind other traffic.

In the 6th month, about 10 days into the month, I received another data limit notification. This time, while downloading a game, the message, "10% data remaining was texted to me. I watched as the download speed of my game suddenly went from 6-9 gigs to .57. Yep, 30 seconds before the choke out, the time remaining was less than 3 minutes, afterwards, it was 12 HOURS or something equally ridiculous.

At those choked speeds, I can't watch netflix, I can not update my games, and even regular web pages take minutes to load (if they don't time out).

You went from awesome to awful.

To make matters worse, 3 weeks ago,I went back to your customer service people for a solution. Talked with 2 different people.  They recommended that I purchase a MiFi, because "data is never choked out, it just gets prioritized" Another faulty claim...

To say that I am disgruntled would be an understatement. I am furious, and I believe I have every right to be.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Thank you for being the worst ISP ever!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wireless cellular internet service is never meant to replace any landline based Internet service. You shouldn't cancel the DSL.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
apexi055
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon's LTE speeds are much faster than DSL in many locations, why wouldn't you cancel the DSL under those conditions?

JTMORG1
Enthusiast - Level 2

And yet Verizon sells Wireless home phones and "Mi Fi Home" (phone and modem) units, designed to replace landline phone systems. So, I do not understand your statement.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are remote places where even DSL isn't available. Options would be satellite or, if it was still available, dial up.

In that instance, using a mobile provider's service for everything as an option makes sense.

But Ann is correct. Mobile Internet and voice were never intended to serve as full replacements for land-based services.

Verizon Wireless, at&t, T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular and others all have similar restrictions on their Unlimited services. If you exceed a certain amount of data within a single billing cycle, you can be deprioritized in the event of congestion. For tethering, Jetpacks and similar devices, exceed a certain amount of data and your speed can be reduced until the start of the next cycle.

Subscribers of fixed amount data plans are less likely to be throttled or deprioritized.

0 Likes
JTMORG1
Enthusiast - Level 2

All of this is wonderful information, but not totally accurate. Exceed tethering limits, and speed IS REDUCED (not "can be") to an unusable level, despite the fact that you pay for unlimited data. so, why offer "unlimited" at all? No good for business, No good for tethering (unless you just need it for a laptop when commuting) No good for home use, Just no good at all.

Imagine a power company that sold unlimited electricity, but after 100Kw use, the amperage was dropped to 3 amps. Worthless is worthless.

But while you guys can defend them all you want, the fact is that they lied multiple times to me, and to many many others with the same issues. I hear there are quite a few complaints being filed with the FCC. I plan to pursue it as well.