Switching Carriers and Early Termination
kushalyn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, so I'm looking to trade carriers because Verizon is a little too expensive, but my contract isn't up until next week. If I were to make the switch now, would I still get charged an early termination fee? I mean, I only have one week left, and I've already paid this month's bill (don't know if that's helpful or not). Also, about how much would it be if I did get charged?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching Carriers and Early Termination
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, an ETF will be charged if you cancel now since your contract is still in effect.  The ETF would be $120 ($350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you've completed) for a smartphone (half that if a basic phone; and an ETF is charged for each phone line that's still in contract).

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, an ETF will be charged if you cancel now since your contract is still in effect.  The ETF would be $120 ($350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you've completed) for a smartphone (half that if a basic phone; and an ETF is charged for each phone line that's still in contract).

Spiral
Master - Level 1

Yes you would incur the early termination fee if you cancelled today.  You must wait until after you contract end date to avoid that fee. In the last month of your contract (assuming a 'smartphone' was purchased) the ETF would be $120 or if you purchased a basic phone $60.

lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

You should wait another couple of weeks. I'm sure there will be some really nice deals from other carriers on Black Friday.

Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

It seem like I read a posting on this community forum that one person did something like you are asking about, 6 days before the end of the contract. Afterwards, he or she was hit with an ETF and so forth. Plus it interfered with getting service with the other carrier. Therefore, if I was you, I would wait the week instead. But I might be wrong. So walk on egg-shells, and do not tell Verizon what your plans are. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Along with the correct information provided by the other members, whether or not you have paid this month's bill is a bit tricky. The bill closing date is the important date. If you have a bill closing date between now and when your contract expires, you would be liable for another full month of service.

Say you paid your current bill but your bill closing date is 11/17 and your contract ends on 11/19. Even if you cancel your service on 11/20 you would still be charged for a full month of service from 11/18 thru 12/17.

rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

That is an important point about switching at the end of the billing cycle. I would say its best to eat a couple of days because you never know how that porting process will go.

kushalyn
Enthusiast - Level 1

So basically I have to decide between paying an early termination fee or paying for a month of service that I didn't use? Either way I have to pay something?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Or option #3 which is to time the switch to a few weeks after your contract ends but before you next bill closing date. Of course, this only matters if your bill closing date will come before you complete your contract.Smiley Happy

Nate5411
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an FYI from my current situation, make sure you cancel AFTER the day your contract expires, not on the day of. Verizon is hitting me with an ETF because I cancelled on the day of my contract expiration date and not the day after. There is more to my story but that is a whole nother can of worms.

0 Likes