Switched to unlimited plan, now it is slow.
kimmitty
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just switched to the Verizon unlimited plan a few days ago (when our cable internet went out and I was afraid we'd need to use more than we had this month on our phones) and there is a major difference in speed since the change (SLOW!). My husband used to video chat with me every lunch without any problems, and we had no issue streaming video or using hotspots on the rare occasion it was necessary. However, over the last few days, we've seen a drastic reduction in our speed. Our video calls are terrible, and the hotspot speeds cannot handle even two devices connected at the same time. Streaming video or playing games on two tablets at once is impossible. Nothing else has changed but our plan, and we've only used a total of 10.74GB this month so far, so nowhere near the point where we get put below others on the data priority ladder. And now, the XL data plan that we used to be on isn't available anymore, and we are stuck on unlimited unless we want to pay for overages. I'm pretty disappointed. Why is the speed so much different???

Screenshot_20170913-152528.png

Labels (1)
Re: Switched to unlimited plan, now it is slow.
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Did you switch to GoUnlimited or BeyondUnlimited?

0 Likes
kimmitty
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have go unlimited, but why should the speed be any different than the XL data plan we had before? Speed should not get slower when we pay more to purchase more data. I would have just stayed with the XL data if I had known all our data would be slower all the time. I'm fine with it being a little slower after we reach like 20GB (which I thought was the cap), but not ALL the time.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is a difference between the two plans and the previous plan you had before.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go Unlimited limits data speed when tethering and devices are subject to throttling at any time for any reason.

Beyond Unlimited acts like the former Unlimited plan with soft caps before throttling kicks in.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

With GoUnlimited you can be slowed when you're on a congested tower regardless of how much data you've used. You get unlimited hotspot at 600kBps

With BeyondUnlimited you can use 22GB of high speed data per smartphone before you're slowed in a congested tower. You get 15GB of hotspot before you're slowed. Hotspot slowing is NOT dependent on whether you are on a congested tower or not. Once you reach 15GB of usage that is it and you get slowed speeds.

It is really all right there on the page when you look at the plans. Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 8.27.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 8.29.48 PM.png

kimmitty
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is a huge difference in speed, not a negligible one. I guess I'm the fool for assuming that my data speeds on the old XL plan (that they apparently no longer offer) and my data speed on the unlimited plan would be similar. I did not expect the difference, even when pushed lower in priority. I cannot even video chat with my husband on his lunch break. It's ridiculous.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The XL plan might still be available by calling customer service at 1-800-922-0204 from a landline or *611 from your phone and requesting it. The XL plan is definitely not available online anymore.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
MD8005
Enthusiast - Level 1

I spent a couple weeks complaining about the slow internet. I had to same problem a couple of years ago but this this time is far worst and seems the be everywhere. Last time a good data signal was -70db and a bad signal was -100db. I

have the new iPhone 7 and I put the phone in field test mode to get the data signal and almost all the time it's over the -100db the issue seems to always be signal strength. Six or seven months ago I brought this up to the network team more than once. They responded if I get a connection no matter how slow I have service. I had to ask him to say it again to make sure I heard him correctly and he replied with the same response

So lately l have traveled a lot and I rarelay have a good data speed. They don't care any more even at their highest level of technical support. Sometimes a mile from the tower a clear shot having trouble bringing up google.com pretty sad speed. Bringing up google.com waiting for over. a

minute.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

kimmitty wrote:

There is a huge difference in speed, not a negligible one. I guess I'm the ***** for assuming that my data speeds on the old XL plan (that they apparently no longer offer) and my data speed on the unlimited plan would be similar. I did not expect the difference, even when pushed lower in priority. I cannot even video chat with my husband on his lunch break. It's ridiculous.

When you are on a tiered plan you will be prioritized over the unlimited plans. If you think about it, with Safety Mode enabled, tiered plans are unlimited. You just get slower speeds when you reach your cap. I never reach my 5GB cap so I am fine with not having unlimited. See if you can go back to the tiered plan. You won't be slowed down unless you have Safety Mode enabled. Without Safety Mode, going over your cap is $15/GB in overages. Verizon will not slow those who actually pay for what they consume.

0 Likes