Switched from unlimited data to shared plan and my bill went up $128
Jwoo519

So my wife and I had our iPhone 4's and the 700 minute unlimited data plan.  Then we got our iPhone 5's they switched us to the 5GB each plan.  Our phone bill went up from $192 to $320, including $67 in surcharges (not taxes).  In other words, to use less data I am now paying 66% more.  Just to get back down to the same amount we had before, my wife and I are sharing 6GB a month.  $320 a month could lease me a brand new car.  Verizon has become too big for its own good.  It knows users seeking quality service are forced to choose either them or AT&T and that AT&T no longer offers unlimited plans either. It seems they are both working in collusion to jack up prices.  Hopefully the FCC steps in soon (if the lobbyists haven't purchased them already) to bring prices back down to reasonable rates.  I was so glad when Verizon Fios came in to help bring down the prices of the cable giants, but now the wireless industry is out of control.  As soon as my contract is up I am switching, probably back to Sprint where they have unlimited data plans.  If this continues to sour (i.e. we are hit with massive overage fees because 6GB isn't sufficient), then my FIOS will be out the door as well.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Switched from unlimited data to shared plan and my bill went up $128
fester30
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon share everything with 10Gb should be 180 plus taxes and fees, which would be much better than the 300+.  Many often times a new contract comes with an increased price, because you have pro-rated partial month charges, plus they charge you for the upcoming month, plus the 35 bucks per phone activation fee.  My wife and I just switched to Verizon from Sprint, and our first bill was nearly 280 for the 6GB share everything plan for the first month because of the additional initial charges.  Future bills will be around 170 after taxes and fees and including my 15% military discount.  Your bills in subsequent months should decrease.  One warning: unless you live in a place where Sprint has LTE and you don't drive around much, it's not worth it.  You can get better coverage and speeds for half the price with NET10 in most areas, and unlimited data with them, too.  We dumped Sprint like a bad habit for a reason.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

The $67 in surcharges, $60 of that is the upgrade fee for the phones. $30 for each.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Plus tax. We were charged taxes on the upgrade fee. So it's possible all $67 was upgrade fee. I'm sure most of the rest of the difference is prorating which is OP obviously doesn't understand. As was said Share Everything with 2 smartphones and 10 GB data would be $180 plus taxes and fees which would be around $15 give or take. So that would be the same as the $192 they were paying for on their old plan. What gets me is the prorating is EXPLAINED on the bill and people still get upset. If they would just READ their bills they would understand the charges. I don't get peole that don't take a few minutes to actually READ their bills. It's like they just see the number and pay whatever it is.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Jwoo519! Thank you to the community for your input. Jwoo519, I know that the first bill received after a upgrade and plan change can be eye opening. However, I don't want you to be overly concerned because there are several charges on this bill that will not be on the next bill. As mentioned there are $60.00 in upgrade fees plus the applicable taxes. Also, your current bill includes a prorated charge for your new calling plan. This also adds to the overall cost. I would wait until you receive your bill next month and if you still have questions please reach out to us! Have a great day!

ChaunceyM_VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I recently changed my plan from the Nationwide Family Share Talk and Text 1400 to the Share Everything plan. I previously had 2 basic phones and 2 smartphones each with unlimited data. I was paying ~$215/month for the plan including taxes.

I have since switched to the Share Everything plan with 2GB of shared data and upgraded my 2 basic phones to have 4 smartphones on my account instead of 2 basic and 2 smartphones. I was expecting my new bill to be $206.80 + tax after the switch with a 22% discount on my $60 shared data allowance.

I expected my 1st bill after the switch to be higher because of the upgrade fees for the 2 new smartphones(2 x $30 = $60) and the pro-rated usage for switching my plan mid cycle to the Share Everything plan.

I was not disappointed as my 1st post-switch bill was $303, an increase of $88. Keep in mind that $60 of that was directly from the upgrade fees. I recently received my 2nd bill and it is right in line with what I was expecting, ringing in at $234 including about $28 in taxes/fees.

Not applicable

and if you had kept your old plan and added 2 smartphones you plan would have gone up to $275. So you are saving with Share Everything. Not that it matter as it pertains to this topic but I thought I point that out to people.

rcschnoor
Legend

Which is why I switched since I had decided to upgrade the 2 basic phones to smartphones.

Didn't think there was a need to pay an extra $60/month just for data.

0 Likes
Not applicable

By the way I just read where 23% of Verizon customers are now on Share Everything. That a pretty quick conversion of customers happening.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wonder how many of the 23% voluntarily chose the plan and how many thought they had to go on it?  (reading through this forum, quite a number of people apparently don't realize they don't have to switch ... unless you upgrade somewhere like Best Buy, where there is no choice in plans)

0 Likes