Re: Switched from AT&T to Verizon, didn't expect Verizon LTE to be so slow
boringusername
Master - Level 1

ATX78702 wrote:

Well I get that you are a fan of Verizon, that's fine. But based on the facts and not feelings, AT&T & Verizon have virtually the same number of subscribers right now, which is why I expected their network performance to be similar as well. I'll give it a few more months, but we will be switching back to AT&T if Verizon LTE doesn't improve at least to the level of AT&T.

I'm not a "fan" of anyone. Just because someone is not on the hater-train doesn't mean they are a "fan", And if at&t was so gosh darn awesome you never would have left them. If t-mobile had the same overage as Verizon where I need coverage I would absolutely have no issue switching. They are cheaper. I'm not paying more for the same coverage. So enough of the "fan" baloney. As far as the number of subs I was comparing to T-Mobile. Speed and coverage are area dependent. It may be 100% true that at&t is better than Verizon where you live and that is specific to YOUR area. It does not mean they are better everywhere. Come to my area and you'll find that out pretty quick.

You implied Verizon wasn't upgrading their network. Pointing out the absurdity of that does not make me a fan. What benefit does Verizon have by not upgrading their network? Especially in a city the size of Austin which I'm sure has all 4 carriers. Speaking of which I'm sure there are parts of Austin where Verizon out performs at&t. They are just not parts you go to.

0 Likes
ATX78702
Enthusiast - Level 2

Excuse me sir, but you are at an 8 right now. Please take it down to a 3.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

I'm quite calm. You are the one hurling insults and not even apologizing. But please continue to enlighten on the logic of a company letting the competition steal it's customers because they refuse to upgrade despite having the money to do so. Sprint doesn't upgrade because they are broke. Verizon isn't.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

ATX78702 wrote:

Seems Verizon would upgrade their network if that was the case. Are they really the slowest network in every American city? Something is not adding up here.

No. Measuring Austin does not mean that "every American city" is the same way. It does not even mean it is the same across the city of Austin.

2017 United States Speedtest Market Report

I used the above link since it is the same company you posted a screenshot of your speed test.

Other results:

America's Fastest Mobile Networks [Infographic]

Speedtest's 2017 Report Ranks The Fastest Mobile Carriers In The US

T-Mobile Has Best Mobile Network, Says OpenSignal App | Fortune

0 Likes
ickybro
Enthusiast - Level 2

Big Reds LTE speeds vary heavily from cell to cell, regardless of congestion. There are areas in downtown Atlanta with a very large number of people with a boat load of phones, where I can regularly pull  22+mbps with no problem during peak usage periods. Then there are two cells in suburban Atlanta-Fayette County GA, one in Peachtree City, where I am lucky to break 800kbps with a strong LTE signal regardless of time of day. There is a cell nearby that I can walk to and pull 20-30mbps. Congestion is manageable and easy to overcome, simply shrink the cells in high usage areas or hook in some better back haul. Those are methods used by Verizon to provide 30mbps+ downstream in a packed football stadium for instance. It's simply network management and vz sucks at it in some areas or rather they don't care. I opened a ticket for one of the lousy cells that I spend a lot of time in and got this from the "engineering" folks:

Network Performing as Expected  | Verizon Wireless
TBH, it's like they don't even take the time to read what the problem I reported is. That expected performance stuff is mostly about poor signals, not data throughput over a good signal. I think the only thing to do is churn. Churn baby churn. That's my plan. I figure I'll move the 7 lines I manage away from vz, one by one as my people decide they want new phones.

tl;dr vz knows they are terrible at network management in some areas and they don't care. Churning in high numbers might fix the problem: either by reducing network load or causing enough concern to get things fixed.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes