Switched from AT&T to Verizon, didn't expect Verizon LTE to be so slow
ATX78702
Enthusiast - Level 2

Switched from AT&T in February, everything is great, but I expected the LTE speeds to be about the same. This is in downtown Austin. With AT&T, the speeds were more than ten times this amount. I opened a ticket with Verizon engineering but they don't know what to do. I'm on the Beyond Unlimited plan. What gives?

2018-04-07 10.58.51.png

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Switched from AT&T to Verizon, didn't expect Verizon LTE to be so slow
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Um congestion. You're in a downtown area so LOTS of people with phones.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If a fixed data plan is doable, consider dropping the Unlimited. Users of fixed data plans are much less likely to be throttled/deprioritized than those who subscribe to the Unlimiteds.

0 Likes
ATX78702
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's what I though at first too, but this wasn't an issue on AT&T, same location.

ATX78702
Enthusiast - Level 2

We aren't throttled until we hit 22GB in a month, which seems impossible given the slow LTE speeds. For example, I am 10 days into this billing cycle and I've only been able to use 1GB of LTE data.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

dexman wrote:

If a fixed data plan is doable, consider dropping the Unlimited. Users of fixed data plans are much less likely to be throttled/deprioritized than those who subscribe to the Unlimiteds.

Sorry but tired data and Beyond( as long as you're under 22 GB ) have the SAME priority level.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

ATX78702 wrote:

We aren't throttled until we hit 22GB in a month, which seems impossible given the slow LTE speeds. For example, I am 10 days into this billing cycle and I've only been able to use 1GB of LTE data.

It's deprioritzation not throttling there is a difference. Also as I said your area is congested. If you have have congestion you're speed will be slowed no matter what. That's the nature of congestion.

0 Likes
ATX78702
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seems Verizon would upgrade their network if that was the case. Are they really the slowest network in every American city? Something is not adding up here.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

ATX78702 wrote:

Seems Verizon would upgrade their network if that was the case. Are they really the slowest network in every American city? Something is not adding up here.

Adds up just fine and yes they are improving their network. you think they just sit on their thumbs adn say "oh well let others pass us by. let's not do anything"  Verizon has the most customers. If you have twice the customers but not twice the spectrum you're going to have issues. If it's a real problem then switch carriers. In my area I've gotten as high as 140 Mbps download and 40 Mbps upload on my LG G4. No way any of the others here are getting me that.

0 Likes
ATX78702
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I get that you are a fan of Verizon, that's fine. But based on the facts and not feelings, AT&T & Verizon have virtually the same number of subscribers right now, which is why I expected their network performance to be similar as well. I'll give it a few more months, but we will be switching back to AT&T if Verizon LTE doesn't improve at least to the level of AT&T.