SureResponse alert system discontinued
PATTI_Z68
Enthusiast - Level 2

More than disappointed that this service is being sold off and canceled by Verizon. My elderly father depends on it for safety, security and a feeling of independence. But per usual, verizon does what it wants.

A word of note to VZW; the company you are recommending your SureResponse customers seek out cannot even handle the phone calls.. Been trying to reach them for DAYS and get a message " due to high call volume we cannot take your call, please leave a message".. WHAT. And you are recommending this company (MyShield by Numerx) manage a life saving alert system?

I don't suppose that Verizon will be extending the service until Myshield by Numerex gets their act together?

"We'll be discontinuing our Verizon SureResponse service on or about November 7, 2016. No early termination fee will be charged. If you're still interested in the type of service that SureResponse provides, you may want to consider the Numerex myShield™. Please contact Numerex at 844-get-myshield (844-438-6974), or visit www.numerex.com/myshieldupgrade for more information. We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for being a Verizon customer. "

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SureResponse alert system discontinued
sweiss1590
Enthusiast - Level 2

At least it's a cellular-based device (service provided by Sprint), and that's important. Other similar devices, like LifeAlert, may rely on a landline-connected base station and are not functional if the wearer goes out.

Numerex offers two price plans: in one, you pay for the device up front ($129) and in the other, the device cost is spread out over 24 months. In both, you pay a $9 shipping cost up front. In the former plan, your monthly payment is $25 all in; in the latter, $31 all in. In the former plan, your up-front payment ends up being $162; in the latter, $39. (I'm rounding to the next dollar.)

This makes Numerex less expensive, but the lady couldn't answer whether it comes with 60 minutes of cellular service, as SureResponse did. (It's not important to me.) I don't know if this pricing information is confidential, but considering the difficulty most people seem to be having getting Numerex on the line, I thought I'd share it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Who have you been trying to reach? The meaning of the pronoun "them" wasn't clear in your post. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PATTI_Z68
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the confusion. SureResponse customers trying to reach Numerex/Myshield whom Verizon recommends we contact to continue service with, is seemingly unable to handle the switch-over.

Verizon sent a letter and posted on the site here notifying all SureResponse customers that VZW was discontinuing SureResponse service. VZW also recommend that customer interested in continuing this service contact and upgrade to the company  Numerex/Myshield. However, this Numerex company is not answering calls or inquires. You simply get a message that they are too busy to take your call and to leave a message (for days and days this is happening). In the meantime, our service is going to be ended by Verizon... I was asking if Verizon had any plans on extending the SureResponse service since the company they are recommending we all contact is apparently not equipped to help VZW customers transition.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

PATTI.Z68 wrote:

I don't suppose that Verizon will be extending the service until Myshield by Numerex gets their act together?

I wouldn't think so.  Verizon, at this point wouldn't know what the other company (Numerex) is really doing if VZW only says "you may want to consider...."  Sounds like VZW doesn't really endorse Numerex, and more likely is just passing along the name of a "similar" company and service alternative to SureResponse.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried the website that you included in your post?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sweiss1590
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just called Numerex about 15 minutes ago and somebody actually answered. But I just called again now and got an automated "heavy call volume" answer, prompting me to leave a call-back number.

When I had Numerex on the line, the lady told me they use the same answering service as Verizon did with SureResponse. But they don't use the device Verizon provided. And now I am concerned that this may not be a cellular based service. That would mean the device would only be functional within a short distance of a base station (like the famous "I've fallen and I can't get up" Life Alert service). That would be a non-starter for me, as my elderly father does sometimes go out. The fact that Numerex costs a bit than SureResponse may reflect this lesser capability. I am concerned...

sweiss1590
Enthusiast - Level 2

At least it's a cellular-based device (service provided by Sprint), and that's important. Other similar devices, like LifeAlert, may rely on a landline-connected base station and are not functional if the wearer goes out.

Numerex offers two price plans: in one, you pay for the device up front ($129) and in the other, the device cost is spread out over 24 months. In both, you pay a $9 shipping cost up front. In the former plan, your monthly payment is $25 all in; in the latter, $31 all in. In the former plan, your up-front payment ends up being $162; in the latter, $39. (I'm rounding to the next dollar.)

This makes Numerex less expensive, but the lady couldn't answer whether it comes with 60 minutes of cellular service, as SureResponse did. (It's not important to me.) I don't know if this pricing information is confidential, but considering the difficulty most people seem to be having getting Numerex on the line, I thought I'd share it.

0 Likes
PATTI_Z68
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sweiss1590, I know you updated a post, but I don't see it here (I was notified via email).... Which stinks, because you provided a lot of info!

This afternoon, I actually got a call back from them. They are using Verizon's network and the "Myshield" is actually the same device as the SureResponse (But you do have to get new equipment from Numerex), which is good because my Father doesn't do well with "change". But I see in your other post, they told you it was with Sprints network... I will have to call them back again to verify this, as my Father is out in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma and Sprint's coverage isn't good out there. (this is why we went with Verizon in the first place). 

The Numerex rep informed me (like she did you) about the price structure and that it came with a 2 year contract. She sent me the "contract" and I had to sign it "electronically" apparently the next step will be the Numerex billing department calls me and we pay them for the equipment as we opted to pay upfront. Then they ship via Fedex and we receive the new unit in 3-7 days.

The Rep I spoke to said they use the same call center as the Emergency response center as Verizon had used, so that is comforting. Duh, I forgot to ask about the 60 free mins and to verify that 'calls made in error" will not be charged.

sweiss1590
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should have two previous posts in this thread. After I posted the first one, I went in to edit it but my login timed out and I couldn't save the edits. Fortunately I copied the edited version, and after struggling with this fakakta community software, I pasted the edited version as a second post. It should be identifiable by the first line which is in bold text.

I can cite the Sprint reference - it was at the Numerex web site:

Numerex Launches mySHIELD SOS Powered by the Sprint Network (NASDAQ:NMRX)

However in the Numerex FAQ, they state they are using the Verizon network. Was this a change they had to make in order to get Verizon to refer their SureReponse customers to Numerex?

http://numerex.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/FAQ_mySHIELD_VW_External.pdf

You're a couple of steps ahead of me. At this writing I am still awaiting the e-mail the Numerex rep told me to expect. This rep was unable to answer my question about the 60 free minutes and I didn't want to be put on hold, so I let it go. My father never used a single minute of SureResponse air time anyway.

I am opting for the payment plan because at $31 it's still cheaper than SureReponse, so I didn't see any need to pay out a big initial lump sum.

Please keep me posted of your progress; I'll keep you posted of mine.

0 Likes