Suffolk, Virginia - Crippled Data Speed after Storm on 2/5/2020. Effectively 3G speed on 4G Network
woodnowin1

Verizon. Help. Zip code 23438. After the mentioned storm data speeds for the entire community here are averaging from 1 to 4 mb/s. This has been discussed on the local neighborhood forum and many have verified the issue. I have had to switch to my ATT backup to get usable internet. Speeds before the storm were averaging over 40 mb/s. It's 10 days after the storm. You are now the #3 network in this area. ATT and T-mobile have better network speed now. Verizon was #1 until 10 days ago. Will Verizon attempt to be #1 again or not?

0 Likes
Re: Suffolk, Virginia - Crippled Data Speed after Storm on 2/5/2020.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important that you are able to get good data speeds, woodnowin1. How far do you have to travel before you get good speeds again?

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
woodnowin1

Address 1295 freeman Mill Road, suffolk, va. 23438

Did a little survey today 2/22/2020. I went to about 3 miles in all directions testing download speed frequently.

About .2 mile north, .2 mile south, 1 mile east or .7 mile west speeds run up rapidly to over 5 mps on a Samsung S7. Using open signal app. Exceeded 30 mps in all directions within 3 miles. Highest reading about 2 miles east of 49 mps.

There is a tower about 2 miles north on my street but near that tower speeds are less than 600 kps so that tower has an issue or Verizon does not have use of any antennas on that tower.

About 1.2 miles south speeds drop to below 1 mps for a half mile or so.

Outside at my address speeds are less that 300 kps, when there is enough throughput to complete the test before it times out. Before the storm it was 5-10 mps consistently outdoors. As high as 80 mps in early morning hours. Haven't seen a mb lately unless I use external antenna.

There is a hardware issue in this area. If you can get a tech, with knowledge of what you have installed and where, to drive around with an RF analyzer, it should be easy to locate where the failure is. May not be so easy to figure out what the failure is.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

woodnowin1, we're so sorry to hear about the data speed issues you're encountering. Reliable service is a must, and we'd be glad to assist further. 

Please tell us, are calls and texts also impacted in this area? What signal status (LTE, 3G, 1x) does your device display in this location? To confirm, does your signal fluctuate at all in this area?

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes