Sudden increase in data usage
ALEKIL32

I have the Verizon New Small Plan 2GB. I received a text message yesterday saying "you're almost out of overage data". #1:How much overage data does my plan have? #2:How could my data usage suddenly skyrocket when I haven't changed how I use my phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sudden increase in data usage
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you sign into your MyVerizon account online to find out how much you have used? Did you look on your phone's data counter? Just because you didn't change how you used the phone. The applications on the phone could have changed how they are allowed to use the cellular data after an update of the application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ALEKIL32

Verizon account was no help as my bill won't be available until the 5th and I am unable to view the last months data usage. Just wondered if anyone knew off hand. Thank you for the reply, I just need to wait for my bill to come and then hash out any discrepancies with verizon.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The My Verizon app gives a...more or less...realtime reading of your current data usage.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand the concern with a sudden spike of usage, ALEKIL32. Based on the description you gave, you have not turned on Safety Mode https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/safety-mode-faqs/ to avoid automatic overage. When you reach your allowance, one extra GB of data is $15 and you get that data to use throughout that cycle or carry over to the next. If you continue to exceed that extra data you purchased when going over, that’s when you get the notification that you’re almost out of the overage data. We can take a closer look at a few things on your phone to see if we can solve the data mystery. What model phone do you have? Do you have any other lines of service sharing that 2GB plan?

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ERIOBE99

Same thing happened with me... the data use surged on the exact day the of the change to the new plan. Day before normal. Day of change data use in one day is close to the previous month.

0 Likes