Subpoena for text messages
LMAR2017

How far back if I have my attorney get a subpoena can he get all my text messages. I need messages from a long time ago. Is there a specific limit to all messages? I have the message plus but it's even further back than that. Just so I know if it's worth me hiring an attorney to subpoena the messages for court. I also would like to know how to get past call logs further back than 18 months

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Subpoena for text messages
rcschnoor
Legend

You would only be able to get messages from the past 10 days or so with a subpoena.

For call logs, you can call CS to get your billing statements which would include that information. Verizon charges $5 for each monthly statement they provide to you.

0 Likes
LMAR2017

How do I get messages from a year ago?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

If they are not on your phone, you are out of luck. Verizon does not keep this information. After 10 days, messages on their servers are written over with new messages.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Agreed. It used to be 72 hours

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I thought it still was...  

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

My mistake, it appears the time limit may only be 5 days(120 hours) as noted in the faq:

See #2 underneath "Receiving Text Messages"

Text Messaging FAQs | Verizon Wireless

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

This may not even count iMessages if you're talking about iPhones.

What kind of phone do you have? Have you reset it recently? Is this the phone that you received the original messages on?

0 Likes