Spam texts
rzondlo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently have started to get several spam texts per day and read on the verizon website

If the message is still on your device, follow the steps below to report the unwanted message:

Be careful not to open any links and forward the suspected spam text message to short code 7726 (SPAM).

Once received, we’ll send you a text message asking for the “From” address.

Reply to us with the “From” address of the unwanted message listed in the body of your text message.

A free text message with a “Thank you” notification will be sent to you to verify receipt.

The investigation will begin.

The instructions say to reply with the name in the "FROM" field.

All my spam texts, this "FROM" field is blank.

What to do?

Labels (1)
Re: Spam texts
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for replying Rzondlo
I would love to look into this with you.  Please put the 5 or 6 digit number the texts are sent from in the " From" field. I would also recommend texting STOP to these spam messages.

Please let me know if I can further assist

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Spam texts
UsedBits
Enthusiast - Level 2

Texting *anything*, including STOP, to a suspected 'true' spam site is not recommended. By doing so, you've just acknowledged having received their spam and confirming your phone number.

The exception to this is if you're receiving advertisements from a known business, particularly one with which you've previously done business. It is probably ok to send a STOP message for these messages.

For example, I've recently received a text message allegedly from Verizon warning me that my PIX account has gone unused for 50 days and will be deleted with 10 days if I don't visit (and logon) to the site. It provides a convenient internet link in the text message.

Although the text of the message sure makes it sound like it is from Verizon, the message sender shows that it is from me! My name and photo appear as the actual sender of this text.

This is why I suspect the text to be a malicious spam message. One should not respond to it.

I'd sure like to be able to inspect the message in more detail, for example, seeing where the link actually points to, seeing the actual sending identity, etc., much like one can do with email.