Re: Spam calls increasing in frequency from the same prefix
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

They're all just scam calls. These scammers think that you're more likely to answer the phone if the number looks like it could be familiar or local.

Do one of two things, don't answer or answer and use the remove option.

Not answering means the computer cannot verify that you have a working number. If they can't verify it working it should get removed from any future lists.

If you do answer, NEVER say YES. Especially to a recording. They're getting really good at sounding like an actual person. If you listen to the end of the first response and don't say anything it will ask "Can you hear me?". If you say YES, then you have given them a recording of your voice WITH an active number. If they haven't already, they'll get your CC and that will be all they need to make fraudulent charges.

Your mobile number on the Do Not Call List is fine if these scammers were operating inside the United States. They're not and therefore, they do not have access to this list. Also, you can't impose our laws on a 'business' operating outside of our borders.

0 Likes
PEDBER66

This started for me a month ago.  I received two calls today.  Same area code and prefix (that matche my phone number) and the last four digits are different.  I have caller ID so I see names associated with the calls.

Today I accidentally answered and she said that she noticed that I had called her. I never called so now I know MY number is being used for this scam/virus.  The reality is it's happening to others who have the same area code and prefix.  This seems like something Verizon should look into.

The person from Verizon who is posting on this feed is not reading.  You cannot add the numbers to the blocking system because they are different EVERY TIME.

Has anyone figured out how to stop this from happening?

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The only way to stop it is to stop the practice of caller ID spoofing. Banning this worldwide will be impossible.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PEDBER66, I can understand your concern and experience the same thing here in Illinois.  It looks like this is happening all over the country.  The process is actually Caller name ID Spoofing and there is little we can do to prevent it at this time.  Follow the link for more information:   http://vz.to/2vWf49O (See #14)

RalphT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dtork
Enthusiast - Level 1

From the article it sounds like third-party Caller name ID Spoofing is piggybacking off of Share Name ID and Caller ID functionality, which are services that Verizon provides. To fix this very widespread issue plaguing customers, how about just...not providing them anymore?

I mean who actually uses caller ID? Someone is either in my contacts or they're not, and if they're not then I rely on the area code/location to decide if I'll answer. And what are legitimate people using Share Name ID for that can't be accomplished with restricting via *67?

0 Likes
CDOM64

I get the same thing with at least one a week.  I block the number from my phone and will get another call with a different number with the same area code and prefix.  I have probably blocked 15 different numbers so far.  Apparently my number was used for the same thing to someone else and they texted me asking who I was.  There has to be a way to block these types of unwanted calls.  This has been going on for months now. This is getting very frustrating.  I know that if I have my number changed the same things would probably happen.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want this to be resolved. In extreme situations like these we recommend changing your mobile number to avoid continuous calls. You can do this for free using your My Verizon. Find out more by following this link, https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/change-mobile-number-faqs/.

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
corigurl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem, it started after I went ahead and signed up online for some coupons...got the coupons, now I am getting the spoofed spam calls constantly. I am going to change my number, and I am going to NEVER use my number to sign up for anything again.

0 Likes
siriusjamie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon sells all your info.  Read it on Internet , they are the worst.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

If Verizon was selling our info then I would have fallen victim to these spam calls. I don't get them.

I keep my info to myself and don't have my phone number associated with my social media accounts and certainly don't use it to get coupons from the internet.

siriusjamie wrote:

Verizon sells all your info. Read it on Internet , they are the worst.

0 Likes