Sony Xperia Z5 Compact Compatability
hhggzz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see that the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact is starting to appear in Europe.  If I was to buy one and have it shipped over here, can it be activated on the Verizon network?  Is it compatible?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sony Xperia Z5 Compact Compatability
Snn5
Legend

Doubtful you can activate a European model for Verizon.  The US and Europe use different bands and frequencies.

0 Likes
SleepyUser

I have been trying to figure this out as well since I'm interested in the same phone. Verizon operates on the CDMA network, but it appears to be GSM for the 4G LTE network. A fully unlocked Xperia Z5 compact GSM frequency appears to match Verizon's GSM frequency. I don't know if this means it will have limited coverage or it won't work at all. Does anyone know?

I might be willing to sacrifice the coverage if it means I can get a new compact phone.

0 Likes
Racer0018
Enthusiast - Level 2

IM also interested if this phone and would love to have it. I have the z3v and it's the best phone that I have ever had, which Verizon needs to allow the boot loader to be unlocked on this phone. Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Racer0018,

Let's make sure you've got the best possible information. We know new devices are exciting. It's unclear at this time if that device would work on our network. While we don't restrict which 4G LTE devices can use our network, we can't guarantee service. Since the phone you are interested in is a European model device, it would never be able to access any of our 1X or EVDO networks. It would still have a chance of working while in our large 4G coverage zone. Sony's spec sheet for this phone does not include which LTE bands the phone can access at this time, so you'd be taking a shot in the dark right now. If the phone is later revealed to work on LTE bands 2, 3, 4, and 13, you may want to look at it again at that time.

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Answer is No...

The Z5 are GSM phones. Verizon is still CDMA. Wcdma is not CDMA

Z5 all models

GSM

UMTS(WCDMA)

LTE

Verizon

CDMA