Someone hacked my account and bought a phone!
TTA922
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

I received a text message from Verizon tonight that there was suspicious activity on my account. They provided me with an IP address along with the web browser, Firefox which I never use. I immediately log in to my account, change my password and then get a text saying my billing address has been updated. At this point, I quickly changed it back and initiated a chat with Verizon as their call center was already closed.  During this time I also quickly deleted my card attached to my account in hopes of preventing them from purchasing anything and low and behold, I see a little "1" in my cart!

I clicked on the cart and removed the iphone from it, and prayed that it didn't go through. Well, it went through. At this point, the rep did everything he could to help me, and filed a fraudulent claim against the phone. He instructed me to change all of my passwords, my pins, contact my bank to let them know I was hacked, etc.

The IP address used is registered in the Dominican Republic, the phone was being shipped under my name to NJ which I do not live in. They also listed THEIR own phone number on the iphone they selected! At this point, what do I do? Verizon is supposed to call me tomorrow; I was assured the order would be canceled once they called me, and promised that the phone would not ship. Do I turn these people into the authorities? What's the next step?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Someone hacked my account and bought a phone!
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

File a police report. Call your bank. Make a follow up call to Verizon Wireless. Change your password to your online account. Put a freeze on your SSN with all 3 credit bureaus. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Along with changing the account password, I would also change the billing pin too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

TTA922
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm going to call Verizon right now. My account says the order was canceled but I got an email saying my order shipped but there is no tracking number. This is a nightmare. When I got the automated text for suspicious activity it said to login and change my password. What they should offer a text asking if this is you, and the option to rely "no" and immediatelt freeze your account.

I put a fraud fraud alert on all 3 credit bureaus, changed all my passwords, pins, and having my bank put an alert on my account as well as issue new cards for me. At this point I just really want to catch whoever did this to me, because they deserve some punishment for basically robbing me. I searched the address and found out it is an apartment building. Further more I searched on Spokeo and listed under the address were all the occupants last names (no first names) and I'm planning on turning them. The FBI has a form you can fill out for internet fraud like this, and I've contacted my local police department to find out what else I should do.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Put a FREEZE on your SSN with the credit bureaus. I have done this. If someone tries to get credit of any kind it will get denied because they wont report anything. It will cost $5 from each agency to lift the freeze temporarily and I would rather spend $15 to protect myself than countless hours trying to reclaim my identity.

0 Likes