Someone from my area code received a msg they must have long distance to call me?
viking13

why is someone within my own area code receiving a message that they must have a long distance carrier in order to reach my verizon cell phone when they try to call me?

I have had several people within my own area code trying to call me on my verizon device and they cannot get through because they are receiving a message that they require a long distance carrier to place the call.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: why is someone within my own area code receiving a message that they must have a long distance carrier in order to reach my verizon cell phone when they try to call me
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are they calling from a landline or a cell phone? If a cell phone, are they dialing the full ten digit number? For a landline, are they calling from a phone exchange code that doesn't have a "local" arrangements with your number's exchange to make the call between the two a local number?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: why is someone within my own area code receiving a message that they must have a long distance carrier in order to reach my verizon cell phone when they try to call me
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Viking13, thanks for your inquiry. Ann154 brings up some great points. Even within an area code, there are different exchanges assigned to an area. If the person calling you is using a landline, they may only be able to call numbers within a specific exchange. For example, if their number is 555-123-XXXX, they may only be able to call other 555-123 numbers for free or around that location. Your exchange may be further away from them.

Marquia_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes