So if you're Grandfathered into plan, you're NOT allowed to get any new phones ever?
Blackhawkswin

This is ridiculous, I've been w/ Verizon for 6 years on a family share plan. We have 2 lines that give us 1000 minutes, it's $70.00 +  $10.00 for the additional line. We were happy w/ Verizon until now. Our contract just ended & as I went to renew for 2 more years, I find out that unless we give up the "grandfathered 1000 minutes for $70" plan, we CAN'T get any new phones. We have to keep the ones we have. I'm not talking about Data package phone, I'm talking just regular old basic cell phones. That's just ridiculous to me! So unless we give up the plan so that we pay more money but get less minutes, we're never allowed to upgrade?

We've called Customer Service numerous times to discuss this & the answer is always the same, "We're trying to get everyone off of the grandfather plans so we unfortunately can't offer any upgrades unless you change the plan" I've wanted to stay w/ Verizon but that is just stupid. Right now we're officially month to month but I have no choice but to look into other companies now, I can't afford to pay any more money & seeing as how my phone is on his last legs anyway, there's no way it can handle 2 more years of Verizon without an upgrade. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm just amazed at how they're pulling this....just for a basic cellphone! (again this is not referring the phones that require data packages, etc, just basic ones)

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: So if you're Grandfathered into plan, you're NOT allowed to get any new phones ever?
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

Have you tried to upgrade online through MyVerizon?  Log in and do a "mock upgrade" walking through the steps of the process, starting by clicking on "Upgrade Now" next to the pictures of one of the phones on your account.  Doing that will take you to a list of available phones, with an indicator of if they are compatible with your current plan.  If the website says the phone is compatible, don't worry about Verizon's badly trained sales reps, just do your upgrade, you will be able to keep your plan.

If the website shows that none of the phones available are compatible, then you're out of luck, it just won't happen.  One suggestion would be to buy used replacements from an online vendor, eBay or Craigslist and stay month-to-month with Verizon until you find a better deal elsewhere or decide to move to a different plan.

0 Likes
Re: So if you're Grandfathered into plan, you're NOT allowed to get any new phones ever?
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

did they say no new phone? or no discount for a new phone?

you should be able to buy any phone at retail price, but no one whats to do that.

could be worse, they could just drop the plan and force you into a diff one.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

mdram4x4 wrote:

did they say no new phone? or no discount for a new phone?

you should be able to buy any phone at retail price, but no one whats to do that.

For the record mdram, in terms of PLAN COMPATIBILITY, how you purchase the phone or the amount you pay is irrelevant.  If I am on a grandfathered plan that is not compatible with an Android smartphone, it doesn't matter if I pay full price from Verizon, pay a discounted price as part of an upgrade/contract extension, or get a Droid 2 used from eBay or Craigslist, the phone simply will not work with my plan and I will be prompted to select a compatible plan when I attempt to activate it.

The best indicator of plan compatibility with currently available phones is to use MyVerizon to do a "mock" upgrade on your line.

0 Likes
Blackhawkswin

No, NONE of the phones are compatible w/ our plan. If doesn't matter if we buy a phone, they said it won't work unless we change to one of the current plans.  I'm month to month right now which I guess is good but I have to shop around for other plans. They said they wanted to get everyone off the "grandfather" plans & onto their current National plans so this is pretty much going to happen to everyone else once their grandfather plan comes to an end. You're going to have to either go month to month w/o ever being able to get a new phone or change to their more expensive plans =/

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

If you checked the website and it confirmed what the rep told you, then you're basically stuck with two options.  Stay with your current phone and plan or move to a new phone and plan.  Like I mentioned before though, buying a used phone of the same model should enable to activate a "new" phone on the line while you make your decision.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Have you tried it online? I've am on a "grandfathered" plan, we upgraded one of our phones just last week. There used to be a check box that shows phones compatible with your plan when choosing phones. I have the America's Choice 700.

0 Likes