Re: Smartphone Upgrade loop hole
ineoxs
Enthusiast - Level 2

My current situation is (I am the authorized owner for all these 5 lines):

Line 1 - smart phone with unlimited data -> eligible for upgrade

Line 2 - smart phone with unlimited data -> eligible for upgrade

Line 3 - dumb phones -> not eligible for upgrade (out-of-state with relatives)

Line 4 - dumb phones -> not eligible for upgrade (out-of-state with relatives)

Line 5 - dumb phones -> not eligible for upgrade (out-of-state with relatives)

I was wondering if the following scenario is possible:

1. Transfer Line 1 upgrade to Line 3

2. Order iPhone 5 with Line 3 by adding 2GB data

3. Activate the iPhone 5 upon arrival on Line 1 via online VZ account or phone with CSR (since I don't have access to Line 3 physically)

4. Remove 2GB data from line 3 (is this even needed since I am not activating iPhone 5 on Line 3. Theoretically, data should not be added to Line 3 as it's still a dumb phone)

5. Contract is renewed on Line 3 for 2 yrs

6. I keep my unlimited data on Line 1

Anyone had success with this scenario? If it's possible then I can repeat it with Line 2 and Line 5.

I got conflicting responses. Some folks are saying the dumb phone also needs to have an upgrade available.

0 Likes
pxl

Have pretty much the same scenario as you . 5 lines(2 smart 3 dumb). I just upgraded to galaxy s3 by transferring upgrade from smart phone to dumb line. then use that upgrade for dumb phone to purchase the S3. the rep at the store activated the phone and put it on a data plan, then deactivate and switched it back to dumb line. i had to wait a day to use the S3 and had that activated on my smart line yesterday. so far, it looks like i still have my unlimited plan. i had to go to a 2nd store to have this done. the 1st store i went to said i would lose unlimited. the 2nd & 3rd store i called said it could be done.

0 Likes
slove2491

I have the exact same scenario as you mentioned. I want the iPhone 5 on my line but do not want to give up my unlimited data plan. I've asked two different verizon reps and here are the conversations.

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative, we appreciate your patience. Your current estimated wait time is 0 min 11 secs.

You are now chatting with 'Kawandis'

Kawandis: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service.  May I help you with your order today?

Steven: Hello, I have a question regarding upgrading

Kawandis: I'd be happy to assist you.

Steven: Can I transfer my upgrade from a smartphone line to a basic line and still keep my unlimited data plan?

Kawandis: Just to be clear you are giving away your upgrade?

Steven: Yes.

Steven: But I'm not renewing the contract on my smartphone line

Kawandis: Yes you are able to keep the data as long as you are just giving the upgrade date away.

Steven: Ok I wanted to make sure because I was told at a store that it would get rid of my data plan if i do anything with the upgrade.

Kawandis: Yes if you use the upgrade,

Steven: So even if i give it away to another line and use it on that line then it counts as an upgrade for the smartphone line?

Kawandis: That does not count towards your data or anything.

Steven: ok thank you

Kawandis: My pleasure

Kawandis: Is there anything else that I may assist you with?

Steven: No I believe that is it. Thank you

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative, we appreciate your patience. Your current estimated wait time is 0 min 23 secs.

You are now chatting with 'Ashlei'

Ashlei: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service.  May I help you with your order today?

Steven: I have a question regarding upgrading.

Ashlei: Sure, what is it?

Steven: I have a smartphone line with unlimited data. It currently has an upgrade available. If I were to transfer that upgrade to another line, would it get rid of my unlimited data?

Ashlei: Yes, it would, because if you upgrade you would have to remove all of the unlimited data on your line.

Steven: Even if i do not upgrade on the smartphone line?

Ashlei: Yes, that is correct.

Steven: I just spoke to another Verizon rep and he stated that it would not effect my data because I am not upgrading the smartphone line.

Ashlei: I apologize for the misinformation, but if you upgrade anything of the lines on plan and you have unlimited data, you'll have to change it.

0 Likes
ineoxs
Enthusiast - Level 2

pxl - was your dumb phone eligible for upgrade? Mine aren't.

0 Likes
pxl

the dumb line was not eligble for ugrade. i transferred the upgrade from my smart phone to the dumb line.

0 Likes
Smartphone Upgrade loop hole
MichelleLong
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went into Verizon today, transferred my upgrade (smart phone line) to out basic phone line and ordered the iPhone 5.  They said when the phone comes in, activate it on the basic phone line and then re-activate the basic phone.  Then, wait 24 hours and activate the iPhone on my line -- w/the unlimited data plan.  He said it would be as if I brought my own device and I would still have my unlimited data plan.  Fingers crossed that it works & I get to keep my unlimited data plan.  I will me really #@#%% off otherwise!

Thanks to everyone for sharing the details about this!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Good luck to you, but everything says this is not going to work and you will lose unlimited data on the smartphone line. You do not really transfer an upgrade, the upgrade is still credited on the line that has the was up for upgrade (your unlimited smart phone line). Once that is done, that line cannot keep unlimited data. Did you get it in writing that you will still have your unlimited data? If not, I suspect your are not going to get what you expected.

0 Likes
MichelleLong
Enthusiast - Level 3

See this thread with the reply from a VZW rep on Oct. 2

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/879633#879633

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The  error in your thinking is that you cannot transfer an upgrade. You can use an upgrade on one line and activate on another line, but the upgrade is not transferred.  You are still upgrading the unlimited line and because of that I doubt you will be able to keep unlimited data. 

If you have this situation it will work

Line 1 unlimited smartphone not due for upgrade

Line 2 dumb phone due for upgrade

In this situation you can "transfer" the upgrade to line 1 and keep the unlimited data

You have

Line 1 unlimited smartphone due for upgrade

Line 2 dumb phone not due for upgrade

In this situation, if you "transfer" the upgrade from line 1 to line 2, the upgrade is still against line 1.  When you go to activate the phone on line 1, you will still need to give up unlimited even though you "transferred" upgrade to line 2.   It is not really transferring the upgrade. 

Like I said, I hope you get it, but expect you will not get to keep unlimited.   This has been discussed in detail in other forums, and others have not kept unlimited. 

The key is understanding, you cannot really transfer upgrades, only use upgrades on another line. 

0 Likes
MichelleLong
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thank you!  I called and cancelled the order.  The dumb / basic phone line is eligible for an upgrade on Oct 28.  So if I buy the iPhone on it, then will I be able to use the phone on my line and keep unlimited data?  Will we be able to reactivate the basic phone and drop the data plan on the basic line?  So the monthly charge is the same?
0 Likes