Slow and pokey 3g and 4g service in NYC
longcat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently got a 4G phone (incredible lte) and tried to download an app in downtown Manhattan where I work...  That's when I noticed how terrible the data experience is.  The 4G icon will disappear and come back, disconnecting any sessions in progress, which is really frustrating (while having 5 bars reception).  When the icon is there, frequently absolutely nothing will happen.  It's as if it's dead.  3G speeds are very slow too, but it's better than 4G...  at least something happens, even though it might be very slow. 

I attempted at least 10 speed tests in the past hour (using the speedtest.net app), and I keep getting "Try again" while in 4G mode.  Only one test so far has completed, and this is pretty much sums up the experience of using Verizon data.  "Try again."

The only way to be able to download an app or use Pandora is to force 3G mode...  while it trudges along at a meager 5-35KB/s down, it doesn't continually drop and hang like LTE does.

I came into work and after getting out of the subway, I noticed my phone was in 3G mode...  I turned the radio off and on, and LTE was nowhere to be found.  An hour later when the LTE icon appeared, it was so bad I put the phone back into 3G mode.

I remember a year and a half ago I tried Sprint, and 3G was a very, very frustrating experience during the daylight hours, up until 9PM or so.  That's when I switched to Verizon, and back then, it worked pretty well.  Speeds sagged during certain times, but it was never frustrating.  Here I am today, and Verizon is giving me lessons in anger management.  This sucks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Slow and pokey 3g and 4g service in NYC
cpt_awesome

I couldn't agree more,  I have one of the first 4g LTE phones; Samsung Charge. The 4G service is spotty at best,  the service goes from 4G to no service, to 3G and then after 10 -15 minutes back to 4G sometimes. .  Being on a website while that happens is extremely frustrating.  I love all of the commercials of people streaming video from Netflix or Hulu,  my 4G phone can't even handle streaming Pandora.  What a joke.   I don't know if T-Mobile or Sprint is better,  but I'm going to give them a chance once my contract is up.

0 Likes