Re: Silicon Valley, home of the SLOWEST 4G LTE Verizon data speeds
Japan8

Outage report: no signal available 3G & 4G, no data connectivity.  Phone tries to burn a hole in my pocket attempting a connection to a cell tower.

San Jose, Oakridge Mall on side near Sears store.  Target side of mall however is fine with 2 bars of 4G and data connectivity is functional.

943 Blossom Hill Rd

San Jose, CA 95123

Again, I can confirm this as well.

If Verizon keeps underdelivering, a provider change will be in order.

0 Likes
t2mobile
Enthusiast - Level 3

http://www.speedtest.net/android/580721890.pnghttp://www.speedtest.net/android/580738097.png

This is getting insane. Time to go to the press and tech blogs. These were the only tests that completed, all others failed.  This is from haight Ashbury in san Francisco.   Timeouts and dial up speeds seem to be the norm for Verizon here in the city. Every night from 5pm - 11pm  and 830 - noon inconsistent service. Verizon has significantly oversubscribed there network with no estimated dates to upgrade here in this area. Downtown is just as bad..

0 Likes
TyroneGreen
Contributor - Level 2

It only takes 20 Data subscribers to bring down a tower to a crawl and make connectivity impossible for everyone.

0 Likes
c1ph3r2u
Contributor - Level 1

Really, only 20?!?!  Do you have a link that goes into technical detail about how 20 data users is all it takes to cripple a tower?  As far apart as the CDMA towers are, that seems like a very low user count.  Too easy to create DoS...[cringe]

0 Likes
c1ph3r2u
Contributor - Level 1

Received more phone calls from Verizon Customer service this week.  All representatives were professional and friendly. One wanted to discuss upgrade options for my account while I had trouble controlling my laughter.  I explained to her that Verizon has the worst data network in the San Francisco Bay Area (after Sprint of course) and I'd be nuts to retain Verizon as my service provider.  I directed her here...

Another representative informed me that the issue at Oakridge Westfield mall in San Jose was tested and confirmed as a trouble spot.  They will be working on a new tower there; again ETA unknown, but very likely at least one year or more.  He also indicated that Verizon is committed to fixing all of the locations that have issues.  Too little, much too late for me unfortunately as all the necessary improvements are at least one year out.  Shame too as the new Verizon Droid Ultra Max Dev Edition sure looks amazing.

Regarding the issue near 1st St. & Trimble in San Jose, I found a coworker on AT&T to test their 4G speeds during peak business hours.  They were getting very similar speeds as coworkers on T-Mobile, 1-3Mbps down, 1Mbps up, ping <90ms. Verizon is still 10% of those speeds and Sprint 1%.  Seems as though GSM phones have the advantage here with more towers to load balance. 

0 Likes
c1ph3r2u
Contributor - Level 1

Just a quick update in case it can be helpful to others...

My colleagues and I have had good success in switching our LTE phones to only use Verizon's 3G network.  We have had them configured this way for a few weeks and have seen much better network stability (albeit much slower), longer battery life, and less occurrences of our phones attempting to burn a hole in our pockets while attempting to retain a connection to the overloaded Verizon LTE towers. 

So while Verizon can claim an obnoxious "FIRST!" on a LTE rollout posting, their 3G network remains their most robust and reliable network for Silicon Valley.

0 Likes
paul-bslee

I am happy to see someone working nearby!  I work in the area near Trimble and also have the terrible 4G connection near work.  My phone, Galaxy Note 2, doesn't have the option to go to 3G, so it stays at 4G and doesn't give data.  Perhaps similar to your case...  

0 Likes
c1ph3r2u
Contributor - Level 1

@paul-bslee

This issue impacts all Verizon LTE 4G users during business hours in the 1st St. & Trimble area.  The Samsung R&D center nearby is saturating the local LTE radio tower.  Sprint users are significantly impacted as well.  Colleagues with GSM based carriers are only seeing slightly slower 4G speeds in this area.

See if the info from this XDA thread to put your Note 2 into 3G only mode works.

0 Likes
Shalade

The last 3 nights from 11 PM to 5 AM I have 1 bar of 3g or no signal what so ever, attempts to talk to verizon representatives resulted in them giving me no answer other than to wait it out.  WTF verizon.

0 Likes
californiatrav

No improvements in Silicon Valley and so many problems that it's difficult to report them all.  There really should be an automated tool or app!  Basically during my entire Caltrain ride between Menlo Park and San Jose I have 2-5 bars LTE signal but data typically does not work at all or is <0.5 Mbps.  Voice works fine but data is NOT what I am paying for.  Seriously considering whether it's worth paying the early termination, selling my phone and getting an AT&T phone.

0 Likes