Should I switch to Verizon?
ectasia

I'm so fed up with Sprint and am thinking of switching to Verizon, but reading about the crappy data in big cities in the last few months is making me very hesitant, as I live in a big city and travel frequently to big cities. I don't want to leave Sprint only to wind up on a network that is just as bad or worse. Does anyone know if any of these Verizon data issues will improve? I've been hearing the beginnings of AT&T's LTE network having similar issues, just not as bad (yet). Naturally, I understand that those who are unhappy are more likely to post/complain/vocalize.

I've compared plan costs, and for my purposes pricing is comparable across the board.

Thanks for any input!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Should I switch to Verizon?
budone
Legend

Only major city I have traveled recently is Atlanta and service was fantastic with high data speeds.

Now if you are in Manhattan, then yes during the day data will be slow as there is only so much bandwidth to work with. However, I personally feel VZW has a much more robust data network than Sprint could ever imagine.

I say sign up, try the device during the 14 return period (Keep in mind, the day you buy the device is Day 1, even if you buy the device at 8pm. Midnight starts day 2.....So you really have 13 days to return.)

If it works, port your Sprint number over to your new line. If service seems bad, take the device back and pay the $35 restock fee and be on your way.

0 Likes
Not applicable

No I would not switch to Verizon. Yes I have them for a gazillon years but you will be paying more for your plan, your device if purchased on a subsidy will incur a $35 activation charge, and a $30 fee for getting the subsidize device, you will pay more for your data and then you may go over and that is more money. $15 overage charges. you will have a bill each month over $100+ and customer service has gone down over the last year. now....

T-Mobile has unlimited talk, text for $50 and unlimited 4G LTE with 500 mb of teathering costs $20 extra, so $70 + tax and fees is around $75 they do occasionally waive the $35 activation fee. But you have to pay full price for your device. They do have a payment plan where you pay the tax and sim kit and put down $100 for initial down payment around $160

you then pay $20-$25 on the EIP plan plus the cost of your service. Around $100 a month. But unlike Verizon you have no contract, nor early termination fees. That is a plus.

AT&T has comparable pricing like verizon, early termination fees, upgrade fees and activation fees, and costly data charges for your plan with high overage fees. cost around $120 + a month.

Sprint has the new for life plan at $80 you get unlimited talk and text and data. since you already have them you should know the fees etc. involved.

Note that all the carriers hazve these plans to buy your device outright and pay small monthly charges, but you can trade in your device every six months to a year. However Verizon & AT&T still cost more since you are under contracts.

Happy choosing.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Elector wrote:

No I would not switch to Verizon. Yes I have them for a gazillon years but you will be paying more for your plan, your device if purchased on a subsidy will incur a $35 activation charge, and a $30 fee for getting the subsidize device, you will pay more for your data and then you may go over and that is more money. $15 overage charges. you will have a bill each month over $100+ and customer service has gone down over the last year. now....

One correction, VZW does not charge an activation fee AND an upgrade fee for new activations, Just the activation fee.

0 Likes
Not applicable

yeah I realized that after I sent it. I should have said on contract renewal with a subsidize device.

Thank You

0 Likes
mousepain
Enthusiast - Level 2

been with verizon for long time . it has usually good service,but prices keep going up. try looking into t mobile

0 Likes
JediPy77
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can often get the activation fee credited back. I've heard of no luck with the upgrade fee, but I've had activation fees credited back and I think they may be able to do it in store if you convince them you're on the fence about switching, not 100% on that though. I just know that I've had my activation fee credited before and I had just broken off from my parents' plan so I personally had no history with them (was adding a line).

0 Likes
JediPy77
Enthusiast - Level 3

Never had a problem in NYC. I have heard lots of complaints about the Financial District, but I never had anything but good experiences, almost always 3 or more bars and higher data speeds than my job's WiFi. My only complaint is that the MTA has been slow to add cell service in the subway and Penn Station which they've been promising for years. But that's not Verizon's issue to fix. Only place I ever had a problem were in my hometown because I lived very far north on Long Island and the villages wouldn't let Verizon and AT&T put up towers. I just bought a Network Extender (sometimes they will give them to you for free) and I got 5 bars at home with 3G data.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello and happy Saturday ectasia!

First, I would like to say that we would be honored to be your new wireless provider! I'm more than confident that you will love and enjoy all of the products and services that we have to offer. While there may be concerns noted in forums, keep in mind that the nature of forum is to vent, communicate, and discuss opportunities for enhancements. We value such info and use it to gauge our success in execution for our customers. While no network is 100% perfect, we have the largest and most reliable voice and data network in the country. If you would like to check it out for yourself,here's a link for your reading enjoyment. http://bit.ly/xVecuo. If you have any additional questions or concerns then we are here to support you.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ectasia

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful responses - truly appreciated!

Per budone's response above,  I would be able to try the service out (with a Verizon assigned phone number), then if I like it, port my number over from Sprint and use that number?

Frankly, after my miserable experience with Sprint (as many people have noted, there is no point in having unlimited data and a 4G phone if I can't even use data with any reliability), I am willing to pay more for reliable connection and speed. I use my phone for work and have missed emergency phone calls due to a lack of service (on top of the slow and spotty data), which is absolutely inexcusable. I am willing to pay the ETF at this point.

0 Likes