Should I change plans?
STEWAL66
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am on a 700 minute family share plan. Runs me about $230 per month. There are 4 lines. There has to be better data/text plan out there. Any recommendations?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Advice on cell phone plans?
Weth
Legend

Do you have any lines/phones in contract?

If all your phones are owned by you and not in any contract, switching to the Verizon Plan would be:

4 lines at $20 access fee per line - $80

Large 8 GB shared data - $70

That is $150 plus taxes and fees.

Note this does not include any phone payment plan.
IF any phone is in contract, the access fee is $40 instead of $20. So if all phones are in contract, your costs will come out to the same $230 per month.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

Do you have any lines/phones in contract?

If all your phones are owned by you and not in any contract, switching to the Verizon Plan would be:

4 lines at $20 access fee per line - $80

Large 8 GB shared data - $70

That is $150 plus taxes and fees.

Note this does not include any phone payment plan.
IF any phone is in contract, the access fee is $40 instead of $20. So if all phones are in contract, your costs will come out to the same $230 per month.

STEWAL66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Weth. I appreciate it! Do you know if the "shared data" include messaging?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

unlimited calling and unlimited messaging on all lines on the plan.

You can also choose different data amounts that will save or increase costs accordingly.

S 2 GB - $35

M 4 GB - $50

L 8 GB - $70

XL 16 GB - $90

XXL 24 GB - $110

STEWAL66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much. You've really helped me out. Maybe it's time to change plans. In your opinion, if one of the phones was an old "unlimited data" device. Would there be an option to change plans while keeping the unlimited data, or would I have to let it go? What would you do?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

If you change plans you will lose unlimited data. You need to decide if it is worth it to keep unlimited data.

I had unlimited data, but got rid of it since it was not a smart financial choice anymore, for me.

All the new plans are shared data, not per line data. You also have the option of adding safety mode for $5/month (free with 16 GB or more of data) that would prevent you from getting an overage on any of your lines.

STEWAL66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all your help Weth. I agree with you as far as the unlimited data goes. I can't financially justify it. Time to change plans!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before switching and getting rid of the unlimited data plans forever, be sure to check your phones' historical data usage per line, and be sure to add it all up, then add 5% to the added data. Keep in mind on the newer plans, all data is shared versus per-line like the old unlimited plans and Nationwide plans were.

If the cumulative data is close to the metered plan you plan to get, either consider the Safety Mode feature if the plan is Small, Medium, or Large (the marketing size), or ensure you get a step up. On the larger plans. be sure to turn on Safety Mode. Just note that while it claims unlimited data, it is excruciatingly slow (128kbps) and would net you an additional 16GB per phone... if you hammered that 128kbps for a month straight and went over your plan the moment it reset. Data usage can spike considerably at unexpected times.