Share Everything - adjustable?
bigfoot45638
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm soon moving to a Share Everything plan when I get buy the 5S (I have two other phones on the account).

When moving to the Share Everything plan, I'm not quite sure how much data I'll be needing as I varied from 0.5-20GB depending on my travel during the months.

I already assume that the Share Everything plan can be adjusted upwards for more data but can it also be throttled backwards. I don't want to pay for 10GB of data when I only need 4GB just the same I don't want to pay the overage fees for 6GB additional on months that I do travel.

So bottom line, can I move the Share Everything data allocation dynamically over the billing period?

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Share Everything - adjustable?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The customer can backdate or forward date the data plan changes to avoid any overages.

To the OP, is there any reason why you are not considering paying full price or use the Device Payment Plan (with its $2 finance charge per month fee) and have the ability to keep your unlimited data plan?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

ohnoudidnt
Enthusiast - Level 2

it is adjustable! One of my favorite features of the share everything plan, as sometimes we need more, sometimes we need less.  Verizon does bill in advance though. For example you may choose 4GB this month, the bill for next month will print anticipating you staying with 4GB and bill you for that much data. If you lower your GB for this(the next) month, you'd have a small pro-rated credit on your NEXT bill for the difference in price, however if you increase to 10GB but were only billed for 4GB, then you'd owe a pro-rated amount for that on the NEXT bill and it would have a bill amount for 10GB for the next month as well. If you don't mind lots of pro-ration on your bill, you can increase and decrease it every month. Hope this helps, I was so afraid to give up my unlimited data, but this plan with the shared data gives us plenty of wiggle room (also, we rarely use more than 2GB even when it was unlimited)

0 Likes
bigfoot45638
Enthusiast - Level 2

So basically you can't "save yourself" from getting overage fees for the existing month but you can bump it up if say perhaps you are planning on going holiday and expect to do some tethering?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The customer can backdate or forward date the data plan changes to avoid any overages.

To the OP, is there any reason why you are not considering paying full price or use the Device Payment Plan (with its $2 finance charge per month fee) and have the ability to keep your unlimited data plan?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

bigfoot45638
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've considered it but the past couple of months I've used only about 500MB (and that's not even using wifi since the battery life of my Droid Bionic is terrible using wifi) so it wouldn't be often I'd need additional data.

The ability to add both my tablets (the misses and mine) for $10 each. A giant tablet in my truck would be very nice for GPS, loading my route at home on wifi then getting traffic updates via LTE.

I'm dubious that any of the providers will allow us to keep the unlimited plans forever. I suspect once the 2 year contracts issued after the unlimited data offer was terminated (thus everyone then being a "monthly" customer), that soon after the unlimited data will be phased out.....much like when Verizon simply cut off the old Alltel customers devices.

Thank you both for the information!

ohnoudidnt
Enthusiast - Level 2

you sure can, if you get a notification that you are at 90% of your usage (a sweet feature built into the share everything plan) you can immediately increase your data to the next pool and BACK date the change, so the billing system won't call your usage over what was billed an "overage" but again, that's where the pro-ration in charges on your next bill would become something to keep in mind. Ann154 is correct about the device installment plan, but if you are currently running a 3G (iphone 4 or 4s) device and want to increase your phones data speeds to 4GLTE (iphone 5 and up) you won't be able to keep the unlimited even if you paid full retail for the new phone. Reason? 4G is up to 10x faster, therefore you could use up to 10x more data than you probably would on the 3G device as you could look up so much more in the same time frame. We have to thank all those people who used hundreds and hundreds of GBs of data a month for costing the rest of us our unlimited data.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can too switch from a 3G smartphone to a 4G smartphone purchased at full price and still keep your unlimited data plan.

0 Likes
Share Everything - adjustable?
ohnoudidnt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've not seen it happen with any of my family and friends who tried. If you had a 4G phone on the unlimited plan, you can buy a full retail 4G phone and keep it, but those who had a 3G phone couldn't buy a 4G phone at full retail and keep the unlimited. It was frustrating at first, but once we thought about it, it made sense. Any time ANYTHING is grandfathered it is grandfathered with the exact terms, and when the terms are changed there is no longer the grandfathered option, in this case the terms were 3G therefore couldn't change them to 4G and expect to stay grandfathered.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

ohnoudidnt wrote:

I've not seen it happen with any of my family and friends who tried. If you had a 4G phone on the unlimited plan, you can buy a full retail 4G phone and keep it, but those who had a 3G phone couldn't buy a 4G phone at full retail and keep the unlimited. It was frustrating at first, but once we thought about it, it made sense. Any time ANYTHING is grandfathered it is grandfathered with the exact terms, and when the terms are changed there is no longer the grandfathered option, in this case the terms were 3G therefore couldn't change them to 4G and expect to stay grandfathered.

The unlimited data plan for smartphones is the same for both 3G and 4G smartphones. There shouldn't have been any plans changes when switching from 3G to 4G and back.  Going from a basic phone to a smartphone is a different story as the data plans are coded differently.

0 Likes